The Student Room Group

Muslim taxi driver refuses disabled passenger because of guide dog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let me check my data banks...

*BEEP BOOP*

Out of context.
Reply 2
Not sure how his religion is relevant but im not surprised this is mentioned on a TSR thread.

Also its nice to see you reading the daily mail.

Islam considers dogs unclean
Reply 4
He broke the law because of the disability act and i think that is not a reason to refuse service, because it is a GUIDE DOG surely?
Reply 5
Original post by datboii
Not sure how his religion is relevant but im not surprised this is mentioned on a TSR thread.

Also its nice to see you reading the daily mail.

Umm maybe because he specifically said because 'it was against his religion'. Reading the article would be a good start.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dinklebot
Let me check my data banks...

*BEEP BOOP*

Out of context.

Nolandroid is so much better.
Muslim here. No there is no prohibition against dogs in Islam, but more of a taboo surrounding them which goes back to some specific events in our early history (you can look this up).

Regardless, by no means was the taxi driver entitled to refuse the disabled individual and their dog. This isn't a question of religious liberty, but civil rights. The taxi driver couldn't and shouldn't be able to refuse providing his service to a black man simply because he's black, because he's discriminating against him on the basis of something he can't control. In the same way, the disabled person can't control their condition, and to refuse a service to them on the basis of it is a breach of his/her basic human rights.

And anyway, discriminating against such a vulnerable person because of a taboo is both dumb and disgusting af.
I think dogs are nasty and dangerous animals myself. And I have a phobia of them. I sympathize with the cab driver. Although he may not be in the right legally.

I don't know if the rights of the disabled trump the rights of people who have genuine issues with dogs. Should people with allergies, phobias, or religious restrictions be disallowed from working as cab drivers because cab drivers have to be able to accommodate people with dogs?

It's certainly not an easy question to answer.
Original post by jeremy1988
I think dogs are nasty and dangerous animals myself. And I have a phobia of them. I sympathize with the cab driver. Although he may not be in the right legally.

I don't know if the rights of the disabled trump the rights of people who have genuine issues with dogs. Should people with allergies, phobias, or religious restrictions be disallowed from working as cab drivers because cab drivers have to be able to accommodate people with dogs?

If you have an allergy, you get a letter from your GP. This would then exempt you from carrying someone with an assistance dog. Because you've justified it, (your allergy) you're not actually discriminating against the disabled person.

Guide dogs arent allowed in certain areas, sadly.

Since when? :confused:
Original post by Kryptonian

Is it true that dogs are against islam

Well, I have never met a dog that has expressed a belief in deities, so I expect some are against Islam.

Original post by jeremy1988

On the contrary, it is an easy question to answer. A cab driver with a genuine medical reason not to carry dogs can apply for an exemption from the requirement not to carry dogs. Superstitious belief would not be grounds for an exemption though.
Original post by Tiger Rag

Since when? :confused:

Since hospitals started using intensive care units, and the electricity generating industry started using nuclear reactors, for instance.
Original post by Alexion
*sees Daily Mail*

*disregards story*

Disregards the disabled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexion
*sees Daily Mail*

*disregards story*

Sees brainless TSR member refuse to believe story (backed up by video taken by victim) on the grounds it is reported by a newspaper that it is fashionable to insult, posts link to another source telling identical story with same evidence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-muslim-taxi-driver-refuse-8350095

Waits for brainless person's reaction to exposure of his idiocy.

What the **** does being a Muslim have to do with it? Dog's are not to be kept in the house by Muslims, yes, but not coming close to dogs is not an Islamic thing. The driver is a tit, but unless there is a verse that specifies that people shouldn't come to close to dogs, or a fatwa by some major imam, it should just be treated as an individual act.
Original post by Good bloke
Sees brainless TSR member refuse to believe story (backed up by video taken by victim) on the grounds it is reported by a newspaper that it is fashionable to insult, posts link to another source telling identical story with same evidence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/watch-muslim-taxi-driver-refuse-8350095

Waits for brainless person's reaction to exposure of his idiocy.

:lol:

I'm not saying it was a lie, I just have a deep hatred for the daily mail
Original post by oShahpo
t unless there is a verse that specifies that people shouldn't come to close to dogs, or a fatwa by some major imam, it should just be treated as an individual act.

You mean like:

http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/iranian-cleric-issues-fatwa-against-pet-dogs

See, that's the problem with religion, it's open to interpretation.
http://egyptianstreets.com/2014/05/14/dogs-are-not-impure-says-prominent-islamic-scholar/
* This is by an actual scholar from al-Azhar, the major Sunni institute.

"
According to Sheikh Gomaa, Islamic jurisprudence, which he says is based off Islam’s adopted teachings of Imam Malik ibn Anas, dictates that dogs come from a group of immaculate and clean animals that worship and are not impure or unclean."
(edited 7 years ago)
You guys do realize there are different branches of each religion? I'm just speculating but maybe his branch is strict when it comes to this.
Also:
"Yet, Sheikh Gomaa went even further in his defence of dogs, stating that their loyalty allows them to be beneficial for protection, hunting and detection of explosives and drugs. The Sheikh added that guide dogs are extremely beneficial for those that are blind."
http://egyptianstreets.com/2014/05/14/dogs-are-not-impure-says-prominent-islamic-scholar/

Quick Reply

Latest