The Student Room Group

Law Degree Help!

Hey,

Just got my results for second year law and in one of my modules I received 37% which was a compensatory pass according to my uni. Therefore, I have passed onto third year.

However, my uni has emailed saying it is advisable to resit this module as law companies might not recognise my degree as a valid one. I'm currently in Jamaica and it would cost a lot to get back to UK to do this resit furthermore I'm not entirely sure if I will do better if I do retake this module.

Does anyone know what the policy is for employers when it comes to compensatory passes? Any advice would be super helpful! Thank you
Reply 1
Sorry to hear that :frown: Where is that you are looking to work (UK, Jamaica? I would advise you research this yourself, bearing in mind where you want to work, and also note firms' positions on resits. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Assan
Sorry to hear that :frown: Where is that you are looking to work (UK, Jamaica? I would advise you research this yourself, bearing in mind where you want to work, and also note firms' positions on resits. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! I have a British passport so it would make sense to work in the uk. I'll email firms and see what they say
Reply 3
If it's one of the 7 core modules you should definitely resit. If you can't make it back for the resit period, why don't you talk to your uni about trailing? Trailing might also help you get a better grade and understanding of the module too, although I imagine you'd be capped at 40%
i'd resit the modules if possible, just so that you can say you passed each year. you may be able to sit them in your home country, contact your university.

but sadly your hopes of practicing law in this country are now very small to nil. people with 2:1s struggle to get training contracts.
Reply 5
Original post by woodchuck
i'd resit the modules if possible, just so that you can say you passed each year. you may be able to sit them in your home country, contact your university.

but sadly your hopes of practicing law in this country are now very small to nil. people with 2:1s struggle to get training contracts.

Wrong.

There are plenty of training contracts, with huge competition, but availability is up.

In addition, even major firms now have 'diversity schemes' to allow people who didn't achieve 2:i or above, or other circumstances, to be given the same chance as anyone else applying.

This is a good thing, and the hopes of practicing law for the OP and any other Law student is actually higher than it was 10 years ago.
Original post by Aisha96
Hey,

Just got my results for second year law and in one of my modules I received 37% which was a compensatory pass according to my uni. Therefore, I have passed onto third year.

However, my uni has emailed saying it is advisable to resit this module as law companies might not recognise my degree as a valid one. I'm currently in Jamaica and it would cost a lot to get back to UK to do this resit furthermore I'm not entirely sure if I will do better if I do retake this module.

Does anyone know what the policy is for employers when it comes to compensatory passes? Any advice would be super helpful! Thank you

What is the module in?
If you resit are you capped to 40%?
When did they say you can resit?
What is your intended career?
How did you do in the rest of your exams?
Reply 7
Original post by Aisha96
Hey,

Talk to your Student Support Services. They will be able to point you in the right direction. Some Universities do allow exams to be sat abroad using a computer in regulated venues (similar to how students sit the UKCAT for Medicine from all around the world). The University will advise you further.

If it's a core module, you should resit even though capped at 40%. You could always, I suppose, do that module alone at another University, but Jamaican Law is not UK Law, so you'd likely have to come back to England to study it.
Reply 8
Original post by Hann95
If it's one of the 7 core modules you should definitely resit. If you can't make it back for the resit period, why don't you talk to your uni about trailing? Trailing might also help you get a better grade and understanding of the module too, although I imagine you'd be capped at 40%

That's what I was thinking because I imagine law companies pay extra attention to the core modules. Does trailing allow you to retake in June? This is the first I've heard of it. Thank you though (:
Reply 9
I got 37% in Property Law II but I have received 65% overall which is why I'm debating retaking this module as I have passed onto third year with a mid 2:1. One of the lawyers I know said that they don't look at specific marks so idk. Thank you for all your help though!
Reply 10
Original post by Aisha96
That's what I was thinking because I imagine law companies pay extra attention to the core modules. Does trailing allow you to retake in June? This is the first I've heard of it. Thank you though (:

Trailing allows you to carry the module over to your third year. you would then be able to go to any lectures or tutorials that you think would help you pass it this time. You'd then sit the exam in 2017 when you sit your third year exams. I believe it's up to the uni to decide whether or not they'll allow you to do that.

I would resit if I was you, even if you're capped at 40%, just so you can show that you've passed it. If your other grades are strong and you continue to do well in your other modules, firms might just see it as an academic blip.

Firms do look at individual module marks. If you're applying to bigger firms, during the application process they usually request that you fill out each individual module marks, year it was taken and whether or not it was optional. If you're sending your CV to smaller firms that don't have a formal application process, they might not be as interested in individual grades, but they do like to see individual grades to demonstrate consitency. This is the advice I got from a former recruiter who now works for the SRA. She went through my CV step by step and told me to always put individual grades on.

Hope this helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending