The Student Room Group

why did tony blair start a war with iraq?

Scroll to see replies

oil and money

and being swindled by Bush
Reply 2
Original post by Kieran1996
oil and money

and being swindled by Bush

Original post by esmeralda123

oil and money.
and was not swindled by Bush.

Spoiler

Original post by M14B
oil and money.
and was not swindled by Bush.

Spoiler

hm I dunno I have always seen Bush as the main instigator here

I think Blair just got conned by the whole "let's make it safe" issue

But I agree both are criminals, there was a lack of research and thought in to the whole thing
Reply 4
hm I dunno I have always seen Bush as the main instigator here

I think Blair just got conned by the whole "let's make it safe" issue

But I agree both are criminals, there was a lack of research and thought in to the whole thing

There was never an issue of safety in my opinion.
It was an oil war in order to put a puppet government there to "buy" the oil for peanuts.
Same thing in Libya
Both states are now unstable
Original post by M14B
There was never an issue of safety in my opinion.
It was an oil war in order to put a puppet government there to "buy" the oil for peanuts.
Same thing in Libya
Both states are now unstable

Completely agree, safety was never really an issue

I think Corbyn's protests back then perfectly summed it up, everything he said would happen, has happened :frown:

I am not quite sure what the strict definition of war criminal is in this case, but for a bit of context, don't forget that the Allies were well and truly on the back foot having just dealt with the worst terrorist attack on Western soil. I am not defending either of them - I have always thought the whole thing was a horrendous mess and a complete botched job, but you can't really look at the Iraq war without looking at the bigger picture.

There were hawks in the US baying for blood and Blair was keen to be part of the "special" friendship we have with the US.
Original post by ByEeek
I am not quite sure what the strict definition of war criminal is in this case, but for a bit of context, don't forget that the Allies were well and truly on the back foot having just dealt with the worst terrorist attack on Western soil. I am not defending either of them - I have always thought the whole thing was a horrendous mess and a complete botched job, but you can't really look at the Iraq war without looking at the bigger picture.

There were hawks in the US baying for blood and Blair was keen to be part of the "special" friendship we have with the US.

Very true, there were more people involved in this but these two were responsible, unfortunately whatever the reasons they did cause the unnessary deaths of ~180 people so I see that behaviour as criminal

In any other industry if 180 died under you leadership you'd have your career ruined / maybe prison
This argument about "oil" doesn't really stand up.

If it had been about oil Blair could have struck a deal with Saddam that involved lifting sanctions and less onerous weapons inspections.

If he was on a mission for oil he wouldn't have bothered with Kosovo and Sierra Leone.
Very true, there were more people involved in this but these two were responsible, unfortunately whatever the reasons they did cause the unnessary deaths of ~180 people so I see that behaviour as criminal

In any other industry if 180 died under you leadership you'd have your career ruined / maybe prison

I sort of agree. But there is a difference between being a soldier and being an employee. When you sign up to become a soldier it is on the basis that you are prepared to die for the cause as it were. And 180 is rather an underestimation. My understanding was that the casualty list runs into hundreds of thousands and still counting.

But war criminal - I am not really sure I can see Blair and Bush on the same list as Hitler, Goebbels and Radovan Karadžić.
Original post by esmeralda123

He has just been proved innocent, you people can't attack him now

Pretty poor analogy. Those that died were in the armed forces - that's incomparable to any traditional work force.
Original post by Drewski
Pretty poor analogy. Those that died were in the armed forces - that's incomparable to any traditional work force.

so those who die in the army have a death worth more than those who die in traditional work?

pretty poor logic

you seem to disagree with everyone so I'm gonna take this on my chin
Original post by ByEeek
I sort of agree. But there is a difference between being a soldier and being an employee. When you sign up to become a soldier it is on the basis that you are prepared to die for the cause as it were. And 180 is rather an underestimation. My understanding was that the casualty list runs into hundreds of thousands and still counting.

But war criminal - I am not really sure I can see Blair and Bush on the same list as Hitler, Goebbels and Radovan Karadžić.

I only know about 180 as that's the last number I ever heard but that was on the news so not a reliable source... Still imo any death is a bad death, it's the 21st century

Yeah I agree, Hitler etc are a different category to these two numpties
Reply 14
But seriously, the guys technically a war criminal and he still thinks he has the audacity to comment on the leadership of Corbyn. Just sums up politics today :angry:
Because his dom, Bush, commanded him to
so those who die in the army have a death worth more than those who die in traditional work?

pretty poor logic

you seem to disagree with everyone so I'm gonna take this on my chin

I'm just saying you can't compare prime ministers / presidents with factory owners.

Saying that "deaths happened, so they absolutely have something to answer for" isn't true.

Without wanting to sound too flippant about it, people in the armed forces die all the time, whether in combat or in training. In fact, since 1945 there's only been 1 year where no service personnel died (1968, if you're curious) - and we certainly haven't been in wars constantly since then.

There's no legal argument at all that they're responsible for the deaths of those service personnel, no matter what your opinion.
You really need to look at things in context and understand the wider situation.
Saddam was a severely destabilising influence at the time. We had already had the first gulf war due to him and because he wasnt finished off properly, then he was going to continue to be an issue as a threat to the western allies who had oil and Israel.
Because a lot of people believed that Saddam Huseein had weapons of mass destruction. Also, 9/11 showed that there was an increasing risk of terrorism coming from the Middle East so something had to be done about it.
Original post by 999tigger
Saddam was a severely destabilising influence at the time. We had already had the first gulf war due to him and because he wasnt finished off properly, then he was going to continue to be an issue as a threat to the western allies who had oil and Israel.

Was he though? The Iraq / Iran war finished well before the first Gulf war. After that, although he ruled by fear, the country was generally at peace. As a westerner, you could freely move around the country. My memory from the time was this quest for WMD. The weapons inspectors couldn't find any. Saddam couldn't show any. Then Bush and Blair's patience ran out. One of the weapons inspectors / advisers ended up killing himself over it all and then there was full blown war. Once the dust settled and a few years later, it was confirmed that there were no WMD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending