The Student Room Group

Transfer school for my economic PhD

hi, everyone. I am year-1 phd student, currently study at rank 50 university. I want to transfer to better school, with more relevant supervisor. I have been accepted from rank 15 university.

I try to decide should I transfer or not, there are some adv and disadv for transfer:

Adv: the ranked 15 university, obsessively have better reputation. And the supervisor for this university compare with old university, she is more relevant and got more experience from my interest area. Also, she have some grants, not sure I can get involved or not, but I think it is possible.

Disadv: for higher rank university, I just afraid it is difficult to graduate, because of the high standard. There is risk.

Also, about my career, I want to find a job in the industry, like banks instead of become a lecturer. So I am not sure is the ranking that import for me. If it is not, then why don't I stay in current university, which is much easier to graduated and save one year time.

Plz give me some advice. I'm really confused not. Thanks a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ranking of the uni doesn't matter at all. What matters more is the reputation of the supervisor and whether or not they have the expertise to help you through your work. Do they have a good reputation for students finishing on time and do you have a good relationship with them? If the answers to these two questions are yes then I would advise against transferring. There doesn't seem to be a need really and you'll cause yourself a lot of upheaval with no guarantee that you will be happ(y/ier) at the new uni.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Ranking of the uni doesn't matter at all. What matters more is the reputation of the supervisor and whether or not they have the expertise to help you through your work. Do they have a good reputation for students finishing on time and do you have a good relationship with them? If the answers to these two questions are yes then I would advise against transferring. There doesn't seem to be a need really and you'll cause yourself a lot of upheaval with no guarantee that you will be happ(y/ier) at the new uni.

Thanks for your reply, there is always a risk for everything. The new supervisor have very good knowledge to my interest area, so I assume they can help more about my work. I'm not sure how to check his reputation. On the personal website, it didn't show her supervision. Can you give me some idea?

About the relationship.. it take time to build it. I'm sure it will be fine.
It sounds like you've made up your mind to transfer anyway so good luck.

Wrt to checking your new supervisor's rep: look at what they've published and see if it's in line with what you want to do. See if you can get in touch with current or previous PhD students and find out what they have to say about the supervisor. Remember to be discreet and professional in your enquiries though.
Reply 4
It sounds like you've made up your mind to transfer anyway so good luck.

Wrt to checking your new supervisor's rep: look at what they've published and see if it's in line with what you want to do. See if you can get in touch with current or previous PhD students and find out what they have to say about the supervisor. Remember to be discreet and professional in your enquiries though.

Thanks, I will. If I wanna work in industry (banks) in the future, can you give me some advice about what should I do now? I'm thinking to get some qualifications, would that help with the job?
(edited 7 years ago)
Have a look at jobs you're interested in and work out what qualifications and experience they want. Getting experience is key so you may want to find out about possibly doing internships or working with industry as part of your PhD.
Reply 6
Original post by stuarly
Thanks, I will. If I wanna work in industry (banks) in the future, can you give me some advice about what should I do now? I'm thinking to get an CFA qualification, would that help with the job?

Why are you doing a PhD if you don't want to work in academia, PhD's were created for that sole reason.
Reply 7
Original post by fg45344
Why are you doing a PhD if you don't want to work in academia, PhD's were created for that sole reason.

I want to become a lecturer in the future, but I don't want to do it immediately. I will possible spend 2-3 years in the industry, to see how it goes, and then become a lecturer. Actually, in finance, there are lots of PhD student to go to industry instead of academia.
Reply 8
Have a look at jobs you're interested in and work out what qualifications and experience they want. Getting experience is key so you may want to find out about possibly doing internships or working with industry as part of your PhD.

Yes, internship is in my plan as well. Thanks.
Reply 9
Original post by stuarly
I want to become a lecturer in the future, but I don't want to do it immediately. I will possible spend 2-3 years in the industry, to see how it goes, and then become a lecturer. Actually, in finance, there are lots of PhD student to go to industry instead of academia.

Ok fair enough, but dont put that on any application form! I found that when you apply for PhDs, they don't like it if you straight away say, I don't want to go into academia.

I'm also doing a PhD in economics, how easy was the transfer process? And why did you transfer? Have you withdrawn from the current PhD?
Original post by fg45344

Not quite. You gain a lot of transferable skills which are sought after by lots of employers.

Original post by fg45344
Ok fair enough, but dont put that on any application form! I found that when you apply for PhDs, they don't like it if you straight away say, I don't want to go into academia.

Again not quite. More and more academics recognise that people who do PhDs don't end up in academia or start off wanting to but go off and do other things. We want to see a clear career plan and how the PhD is going to fit into it. We also want to see that you're the sort of person who will finish the PhD and on time.
Reply 11
Original post by fg45344

I'm also doing a PhD in economics, how easy was the transfer process? And why did you transfer? Have you withdrawn from the current PhD?

The transfer process is not difficult, you just need to find a professor whom is willing to take you. The hard part is there isn't a lot, especially for experienced professor in high-ranked univ. There are two reasons, supervisor interest areas are more fitted to me and univ reputation. I haven't withdrawn yet, still thinking about it.

But I have told my current Main supervisor that I want to transfer, and got a reference from him. Well, we still have regular meeting, and he is still helping my study. You have to ask your current MoS for a reference in order to apply, so it leave me no choose.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Not quite. You gain a lot of transferable skills which are sought after by lots of employers.

Again not quite. More and more academics recognise that people who do PhDs don't end up in academia or start off wanting to but go off and do other things. We want to see a clear career plan and how the PhD is going to fit into it. We also want to see that you're the sort of person who will finish the PhD and on time.

Yes, I quite aggree, in the first meeting with my supervisor team, they have ask me what do I want to do, academia or industry. I said industry. There wasn't any problem with that. And they are OK, if I want to do internship in the summer as long as I meet mine timeline.
Reply 13

by the way, does the department matters? The research topics are the same, but the department one is in Finance & Economics & Business and another one is in Economics& Social History. Would it affect to apply job in the industry?
Original post by stuarly
by the way, does the department matters? The research topics are the same, but the department one is in Finance & Economics & Business and another one is in Economics& Social History. Would it affect to apply job in the industry?

The name of the department no. The reputation of the department in your field yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending