The Student Room Group

Online psychology phd

Hi,

Does anyone know if any university offers an online psychology phd programme at all please?
Probably the Open University for one?

Bear in mind a PhD in psychology in the UK does not qualify you to work as a professional psychologist - there are separate specific professional doctorates (and other postgraduate courses) for that. A PhD in psychology qualifies you to work as an academic researcher in psychology (and can be a potentially useful transferable qualification for moving into the private or public sector in some areas perhaps - still not as a professional psychologist though).

So depending on your aims it may or may not fit.
Reply 2
Thanks. I've enquired with the Open University and phd students have to go to their campus, strangely enough. And yes, I'm well aware that a phd won't qualify me to work as a professional psychologist - that's not my intention.

Thanks for the advice!

(Original post by artful_lounger)Probably the Open University for one?

Bear in mind a PhD in psychology in the UK does not qualify you to work as a professional psychologist - there are separate specific professional doctorates (and other postgraduate courses) for that. A PhD in psychology qualifies you to work as an academic researcher in psychology (and can be a potentially useful transferable qualification for moving into the private or public sector in some areas perhaps - still not as a professional psychologist though).

So depending on your aims it may or may not fit.
Original post by ExpatMumVN
Hi,

Does anyone know if any university offers an online psychology phd programme at all please?

Hey!

I think most courses will require you to go in occasionally as you will have to have meetings with your supervisor on a fairly regular basis. Also, depending on your research, you will have to go on to campus to use the labs/other facilities. However, I currently do a PhD in Psychology and whilst I tend to work on campus in my office, a lot of people I know do the majority of their research from home (other than lab work as I said). I only 'have' to be there to meet my supervisor once every 2-3 weeks and because I do some teaching work at the uni alongside. So whilst all PhD courses will require you to be on-campus to some degree, that doesn't mean you'll have to be there all the time, especially if it's your own research project (rather than a funded group project). :smile:

Hope this helps & best of luck with everything!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd Year PhD Psychology)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest