The Student Room Group

Changing PhD but staying at same uni

Hi, what would the situation be with my doctoral loan if I changed my PhD to another department and topic but within the same Uni. I have about 2.5 years left on my current pathway.
Original post by Helencompton48
Hi, what would the situation be with my doctoral loan if I changed my PhD to another department and topic but within the same Uni. I have about 2.5 years left on my current pathway.

Hi Helen,

So you would transfer to another PHD course? How many years of the new PHD would you have left to do and when would you make the transfer?

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Helen,

So you would transfer to another PHD course? How many years of the new PHD would you have left to do and when would you make the transfer?

Thanks, Drew

Hi, yes, new PhD altogether from the start so 3 years full time or six years part time
Hi, yes, new PhD altogether from the start so 3 years full time or six years part time

I would be aiming to transfer soon, earliest start date for PhDs in my uni is February but it could be as late as the start of the new academic year in October
I would be aiming to transfer soon, earliest start date for PhDs in my uni is February but it could be as late as the start of the new academic year in October

Hi Helen,

So it would not be a transfer as you would be withdrawing from the previous course to start a new course?

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Helen,

So it would not be a transfer as you would be withdrawing from the previous course to start a new course?

Thanks, Drew

I wondered if I could use the remaining years of my doctoral loan allocation to fund the new PhD
I wondered if I could use the remaining years of my doctoral loan allocation to fund the new PhD

Hi Helen,

As long as your old course has not finished and the university send us a Change of Circumstances Transfer then we can transfer you to the new course. You would not be eligible for any extra funding but you would still get paid the rest of the funding that you had left from the previous course. This funding would be split over the 3 years if it is the 3 year course you do.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending