The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

study abroad in UCL for a year or one semester

I'm from UofT in Canada and will be studying abroad at UCL for a whole year next year for my 3rd year at uni. I originally chose to come for a full year because I want to experience the European culture and have the chance to travel around + UCL is a very great school. However, I found out that going to UCL for a full year might hinder my future career/grad school opportunities.

First, I'm doing a double major in econ and statistics, however, because stats courses (or modules like you guys call in England) don't transfer, I can only take econ at UCL and the rest of my courses are just for fun, which means I have to take all of my 3rd and 4th year stats course in 4th year when I come back to Canada. My plan for next summer is to do an internship in data analysis or the business field. And apply for grad school in either of these fields too.

So Pros about a year:
1. The wholesome UCL experience
2. More time to travel around in the UK and Europe
3. Potential chances of networking (since London is a way better city than Toronto)

Cons:
1. Can't take any stats/data analytics courses or machine learning
2. Harder to find a summer internship since I didn't take any useful courses
3. Might hinder grad school application since most of my third-year courses are for fun

Therefore I'm thinking of coming to UCL this month and then after one or two months decide if I wanna leave after the first semester. But I don't know if that is possible because UCL did accept me for a full year, and I don't even know if this is rational?
Why can't you take ML or compsci courses anyway as "just for fun"? Your credits might not transfer for uni, but internships will consider them valid and grad schools will understand you still learnt useful stuff... Don't really see your cons as valid
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by IDontKnowReally
Why can't you take ML or compsci courses anyway as "just for fun"? Your credits might not transfer for uni, but internships will consider them valid and grad schools will understand you still learnt useful stuff... Don't really see your cons as valid

As an economics affiliate student, there are many limitations to courses not in the economics department I can take. For example, a few of the stats courses I was interested in and are transferrable are not open to affiliate students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending