The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

Best laptop for university?

Hi,

I'm starting my first year of university this year (2016) and I am looking right now for an ideal, reliable portable laptop best for student life. I am flexible with price but wondered what sort of thing people really recommend getting for university. My course is history and American studies.
Original post by User1102
Hi,

I'm starting my first year of university this year (2016) and I am looking right now for an ideal, reliable portable laptop best for student life. I am flexible with price but wondered what sort of thing people really recommend getting for university. My course is history and American studies.

I would say buy new not second hand. I have an ASUS one not sure model but it is quite small but fits in my bag easily and is fast which I think is one of the most important things
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
What's your budget, it really depends.

Have you looked into second hand ones?
I've just brought a Mac book pro I havnt used it yet but the staff in the apple shop were really helpful in choosing the model. I got it because of the student discount it was ment to be £1000 but had it for £900 by showing them my uni offer email, and till the 5th of sept they give u a free pair of wireless beats headphones worth £270 which I'm gonna sell 😊 Just thought u shud be aware of the offer before it ends.
Reply 4
I'd reccomend ThinkPas X Series.
Reply 5
Original post by 34908seikj
What's your budget, it really depends.

Have you looked into second hand ones?

Have not looked at second hand ones yet- but a good idea. Think I am looking to get a new one though. Budget defo under £1000 but about £500 upwards.
Original post by User1102
Have not looked at second hand ones yet- but a good idea. Think I am looking to get a new one though. Budget defo under £1000 but about £500 upwards.

Obviously have a look around but my suggestion would be:

Spoiler

I gotta' macbook pro, ****in' love it. It's awesome. Wether it's a better option to get a cheeper laptop and save money, I don't know.
Reply 8
Original post by 34908seikj
Obviously have a look around but my suggestion would be:

Spoiler

okay will look into it- thanks!
Reply 9
I haven't owned a Macbook myself but have found plenty of satisfaction in Windows machines.
Some recommendations off the top of my head are:

- Premium business notebooks like the HP Elitebook 820 or Dell Latitude E7250 / E7240
- Lenovo Yoga 900 or other high end 2-in-1s such as the Surface Pro series or HP Elite X2
- Dell XPS 13
- Zenbook UX305
- iPad Pro
- Macbook Air / Pro 13"

Personally I'd be happy with any of the above. I'm currently using a HP 820 G2 which delivers in terms of portability, power and expandability (dedicated docking stations).
Well it depends on your use scenario. If you want something fairly versatile and light weight, I'd give a shake at a Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series laptop
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-13-5000-13-3-2-in-1-silver-10146366-pdt.html .
For your course, the most you'll ever do is basic word processing and maybe some photography I'd wager. Really, you want something with a decent display, decent battery life and light weight. Don't splurge more than you need to unless you have advanced use case scenarios in mind like gaming, photo/video editing, 3D modelling, running VM's, coding etc. The laptop I picked here strikes a balance between size, performance and price. You get decent battery life, an ample enough 1080p IPS display, quarter terabyte SSD(dont go for laptops with hard drives anymore), Skylake CPU and its under 1.6KG. Good pick in my eyes and is sub £700
i'd recommend a macbook pro. i got mine before i even knew that i would be going back into education last year, and it was super useful. i ended up taking my macbook into college a lot as opposed to using the computers on campus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending