The Student Room Group

How to reject him/ say no in the nicest way possible

So me and a friend are meeting tomorrow we arranged it like a week ago. Then a few days ago he sent me a message saying how he likes me in that way. The truth is I don't feel the same. I like him as a friend but thats it.

Btw I have never had a boyfriend before and this is the first time someone asked me out. However he usually asks out quite a lot of people I remember a few months ago he asked out my friend/ acquaintance. Hes not a player but you know.
The messages he sent me is kind of idk.. Ill show the messages. Im still meeting up with him to tell him im not interested. I dont think its a date or anything i just think its two friends meeting as it was arranged before he said he liked me. Ill leave the messages he sent below.

Him: I need to confess something to you. I was gonna tell you when we meet up on Tuesday but I wanna tell you now. I like you, i dont mean that in a friend way. I mean in a relationship way. We have a lot of the same interests and I think your pretty cool and cute. (Wtf)

Me:Oh ok. Ill speak to you on Tuesday.

Him: Ok. Hopefully we can start a relationship together. :biggrin:

Him: Good morning. I meant what I said yesterday. It would make me super happy if I became your boyfriend.

Him: Hey, are we still good to meet up tomorrow.

Me: Hi yeah if you want. Is it possible to go earlier as I have to go somewhere at 2. Can we go at like 11:30(Ithink its 2 though not sure I havent found out yet. Btw this wasnt the message i sent. And I bet I wont even be awake at 11.)

Him: Sure. Umm.. What do you think about us starting a relationship together though? I think it would awesome for both of us. We can go round each others houses from time to time. Play video games with each other. Maybe watch a film and have fun.

So as you can see he is nice and sweet but maybe just a bit.. Idk?
I just feel like its gonna be awkward.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you should reject him over text, it will be much easier for you. Why meet with him when he clearly wants a relationship rather than a friendship? Who plays video games ...
Original post by Anonymous
So me and a friend are meeting tomorrow we arranged it like a week ago. Then a few days ago he sent me a message saying how he likes me in that way. The truth is I don't feel the same. I like him as a friend but thats it.

Btw I have never had a boyfriend before and this is the first time someone asked me out. However he usually asks out quite a lot of people I remember a few months ago he asked out my friend/ acquaintance. Hes not a player but you know.
The messages he sent me is kind of idk.. Ill show the messages. Im still meeting up with him to tell him im not interested. I dont think its a date or anything i just think its two friends meeting as it was arranged before he said he liked me. Ill leave the messages he sent below.

Him: I need to confess something to you. I was gonna tell you when we meet up on Tuesday but I wanna tell you now. I like you, i dont mean that in a friend way. I mean in a relationship way. We have a lot of the same interests and I think your pretty cool and cute. (Wtf)

Me:Oh ok. Ill speak to you on Tuesday.

Him: Ok. Hopefully we can start a relationship together. :biggrin:

Him: Good morning. I meant what I said yesterday. It would make me super happy if I became your boyfriend.

Him: Hey, are we still good to meet up tomorrow.

Me: Hi yeah if you want. Is it possible to go earlier as I have to go somewhere at 2. Can we go at like 11:30(Ithink its 2 though not sure I havent found out yet. Btw this wasnt the message i sent. And I bet I wont even be awake at 11.)

Him: Sure. Umm.. What do you think about us starting a relationship together though? I think it would awesome for both of us. We can go round each others houses from time to time. Play video games with each other. Maybe watch a film and have fun.

So as you can see he is nice and sweet but maybe just a bit.. Idk?
I just feel like its gonna be awkward.

Politely say, you don't see him that way and at the moment there's different things happening in your life and you don't really want a relationship. Or get a friend to say to him that you don't like him if you feel like avoiding the awkward face to face
Reply 3
Original post by Arbe
I think you should reject him over text, it will be much easier for you. Why meet with him when he clearly wants a relationship rather than a friendship? Who plays video games ...

Honestly we are meeting in like less than 10 hours. It would be quite rude of me to cancel now. Again this was planned before he said he liked me cause we were/ are friends.
Tell him how you feel and don't be upset if he doesn't want to see you anymore? There isn't really a way to sugar coat what you're going to say, because the meaning behind it will always hurt. That hurt may drive him away, he is not obligated to be your friend just as you aren't obligated to reciprocate his feelings. It is just how life is sometimes.
Just be honest. I have realised that if you prioritise being nice in these situations, you run the risk of making them think they still have a chance. Just say you don't feel the same way. If he stops contacting you, then that's his prerogative. As often as you see it in the movies, you CANNOT be friends with someone who has romantic feelings for you.
Reply 6
"No"
Reply 7
By the way we are both 17. I found the whole go round each others houses a bit creepy.
Reply 8
Original post by NeoMarxist
Just be honest. I have realised that if you prioritise being nice in these situations, you run the risk of making them think they still have a chance. Just say you don't feel the same way. If he stops contacting you, then that's his prerogative. As often as you see it in the movies, you CANNOT be friends with someone who has romantic feelings for you.

See thats the thing. Im not sure he actually does. I think he just wants a girlfriend and kind of imagines it.
Reply 9
There is no nice or bad in rejecting someone ,you only think that way because you are scared yourself of being rejected one day , it's only a rejection pure and simple , if he is normal he will understand it ,,otherwise he will get over it anyway and it will teach him for next time , so stop being selfish , a rejection is a rejection and there is no good or bad on it , it's just normal.
And if you feel guilt it means the problem is in you not in him , because the longer you leave him hanging the more he suffers and will hate you later ,
Hope you will understand what I said ,

And thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
God that was cringy to read. The less direct you are the worse it will be.
Awww this is so cute to read.

Some guys just make me die of the adorableessss.

So naive and optimistic and cringe, but so cute nonetheless.

So much for guys being heartless.
Huhhh 😦😦😦😦😕😕😕😶😶😶

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just read the messages he sent , I notice one think , he already programmed all your relation , where to go , what to do , where to do it ,and he is imposing the relationship , I think the guy is bit emotionally disturbed ,I mean he is more thinking about what he wants , he never mentioned anything about what the girl want , he is controlling and emotionally unstable , so a relation will certainly have a bad very bad ending , more reason to leet him know as soon. Possible that you are not interested , I will say he is a bad guy , but I will say he is a guy with issues ,he need help , but not in this way . So any girl that think it's cute well , you welcome to go and have him, but as you know , your eyes and ears may not see that , but the hearth does .

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
i agree with what the perso above said, hes imposing on you to try and force the relationship, i dont know how old you are but unless youre 13 or so thats weird on his part. thats neither here nor there tho, just tell him tomorrow the truth, say you just dont feel the same but have thought about it and youre sorry it wasnt meant to be, its not your fault, its life, dont feel bad about hurting his feelings either, its part of growing up
Original post by Gerard72
I just read the messages he sent , I notice one think , he already programmed all your relation , where to go , what to do , where to do it ,and he is imposing the relationship , I think the guy is bit emotionally disturbed ,I mean he is more thinking about what he wants , he never mentioned anything about what the girl want , he is controlling and emotionally unstable , so a relation will certainly have a bad very bad ending , more reason to leet him know as soon. Possible that you are not interested , I will say he is a bad guy , but I will say he is a guy with issues ,he need help , but not in this way . So any girl that think it's cute well , you welcome to go and have him, but as you know , your eyes and ears may not see that , but the hearth does .

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

You presented it nicely, I appreciate your deep insight but , it may be highly possible that the boy is not enough mature to show his feeling in uncontrollable way. It does not mean he has some issue but it has good chances. Anyway helpful reply imo.
Reply 16
Well at least he made his intensions clear! A bit intense though. i think your replies so far will have given a clue about your feelings. I would go, I agree it would be hurtful and unfriendly not to now, but be clear upfront that youre not on the same page.
I wouldn't meet up with him. It may give him the wrong idea. And you need to make it clear you have no interest in dating him.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I wouldn't meet up with him. It may give him the wrong idea. And you need to make it clear you have no interest in dating him.

Yeah thanks. But considering im meeting him in 30mins its a bit too late. But when I see him im going to tell him. Btw I was always going to tell him. Just wasnt sure what the best way to do it.
Original post by Gerard72

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw I was always going to tell him today. I didnt want to leave him hanging. Thanks anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending