The Student Room Group

Driving lessons?

Hi,
On average, how much does it cost to pass your driving test?So, how much does it cost including the average number of lessons, etc.? I wantto know how much money I will need. Thanks J
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
On average, how much does it cost to pass your driving test?So, how much does it cost including the average number of lessons, etc.? I wantto know how much money I will need. Thanks J

I think £20 and then u have to take test.
Reply 2
Original post by anojan
I think £20 and then u have to take test.

And on average, how many lessons does a person need?
I think the average is around 40 hours of lessons.
Reply 4
And on average, how many lessons does a person need?[

I think 10 lessons
Reply 5
Hi,

It all depends on how you take to driving. You'll probably need quite a few lessons (im guessing at 20-25 minimum) with the average price around £25
Reply 6
Took me around <£1500, that being lessons from June 2015 to Mid March 2016, although I did have 5 tests as well.. (Yes it's shameful I know). But yeh, you can't really prepare for how much money you will need, better to have a Saturday job on the side or something to keep topping your money up.

Edit: Just to add, I only drove with my instructor, on average once a week for an hour and a half each time. So clearly if you drive with parents or other people as well then you'll likely take less time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
And on average, how many lessons does a person need?

I'm 17 in a month and I'm learning to drive at the moment. My parents think I'll need about 10 as I've been practising driving (not on the road!) with my dad for a few weeks, and my friend who did this (who has just passed her test last week) did the same and had about 10. Without driving with my dad, I reckon I'd need about 15-20 lessons but that's just an estimate.
Reply 8
It can cost a lot of money if you don't pass first time or if your instructor takes you for a ride. It's not in the interest of the instructor to get you to pass straight away, think of all the lost income they would incur.

I'd say on average it takes 30-40 hours + 5 hours (for each test you fail)

You will need to put aside a couple of grand at least. Book the test when you feel you are ready, not the instructor...some may literally take you for a ride.
Reply 9
I think it will take 10 lessons and £250
If you have no prior driving experience and don't plan to drive outside of your lessons, 10 is super optimistic! I'd say 20-30, some people may need more, some less.

I'd recommend doing 1.5hr lessons instead of 1hr lessons.

Remember you need to pay £23 for the theory test and £62 for the practical. And you may need to pay for resources for the theory (I paid for this website that gives you lots of practice material for 6 months for £5).

An hour driving costs about £20-£25. Some instructors do deals where it is cheaper to buy 5 hours at a time. I would recommend that you prepare to spend about £1000 on learning to drive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Personally I needed a ridiculous amount. I didn't keep track of how much it cost as it spanned a 6 year period (!) but it must have been in the region of £2k probably more if you include all the failed tests and 2 theories!*

You can't account for how long it'll take or how many times you'll fail. Best just to start and see how you get on.*
Reply 12
Hi,

The average amount of lessons needed is 40 and you also have to pay to do your theory and practical test so it would be in the region of £1000.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending