The Student Room Group

Is an industrial year worth it for Computer Science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _howl
Contacts.
I don't know yet. Though, I'll get varied experiences and get a taste of what working in different sectors of IT is like.
Contacts and the level of my degree.
It's not that I definitely don't want to, but I want to step out of the academic world and get into work faster. I still have a year to decide.
Possibly.

The whole purpose of me posting this thread is because of my concern about employability...

Well unless we are missing soemthing you seem to identify the issues, then analyse things and reach a conclusion I just cant see.

If you have contacts, then go that way and maybe take the advice of those people if they are going to set you up with a career. Didnt realise you were such an in demand candidate and had contacts who can fix you up.
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
Well unless we are missing soemthing you seem to identify the issues, then analyse things and reach a conclusion I just cant see.

If you have contacts, then go that way and maybe take the advice of those people if they are going to set you up with a career. Didnt realise you were such an in demand candidate and had contacts who can fix you up.

?

I haven't reached a conclusion... it's a possibility I'm still considering, and as have mentioned before, have about a year or so to decide.

Not exactly. Though it does help that more than a handful of my family members are in the computing and IT industry themselves.
Reply 22
Original post by alleycat393
Industrial placements are invaluable, there's no doubt about it. Experience is key to getting a good job after you graduate especially if you want to stay in the field. You can opt out of it once you're at uni though check when the cut off is. Also check if SFE will pay the fee for the extra year. I don't think it's the full fee, it may be half or less. You'll just graduate a year after everyone else which isn't a big deal really, in the grad scheme of things.

Original post by cipi
Very worth it. In every subject really.

Original post by super_kawaii
Experience is essential and a lot of people who do a year in industry end up employed by the company at the end of their degree. So you have the added bonus of guaranteed employment after your degree, which is incredibly rare

True. Thanks for the input! :smile:
I'd take the placement year. You never know, they may even take you on after you graduate.
Reply 24
Original post by alleycat393
Not quite. I was an international student so there was nothing low about my fees!

Ouch!
Original post by _howl
I've recently received an offer for G400 CompSci after requesting a change and was wondering whether or not an industrial year would be worth it. I've been told by many sites that these placements are often valuable and in comparison to non-placement graduates, typically have a higher starting salary (between £3,000 - 5,000, which isn't exactly a big deal). However, it would mean that I would be studying for an extra year which I prefer not to do. Moreover, I would be paying for an extra year (not sure if it's the full £9000 for the industrial year) out of my pocket, which I would rather not do unless it'll make a significant difference.

Can someone with experience of this advise me or share their experiences with industrial years, please?

Thank you!

hi,
i plan for the same course.which university is good to study cs as i am also an international student still trying to narrow down my 5 choices.
is placement year a good choice?
thank you.happy new year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending