The Student Room Group

rlly messed up my uni chances

I wanna do computer science in university(Probably just general degree, nothing specific). I just messed up, my grades are BBC. I'm hoping to get to a BBB and im asking my teachers about it so thats not a problem at the moment. idk i feel like i screwed everything up bc all university offers r so high. Any advice or universities i should look at?
Reply 1
Are these are just your predicted grades - or achieved grades?
Reply 2
Then work your socks off this year, prove those predictions wrong - and then apply to Unis *next year* with higher achieved grades. You can do it, if you want it badly enough,
Original post by Anonymous
I wanna do computer science in university(Probably just general degree, nothing specific). I just messed up, my grades are BBC. I'm hoping to get to a BBB and im asking my teachers about it so thats not a problem at the moment. idk i feel like i screwed everything up bc all university offers r so high. Any advice or universities i should look at?

Hiya 👋

Check out our page for BSc computer science at University of Essex:
https://www.essex.ac.uk/courses/UG00069/1/BSc-Computer-Science

They're in the process at the moment of slightly lowering admissions requirements for a lot of courses. If you scroll down to entry requirements this is why it shows A Level requirements as BBB - BBC. It just means they're now open to consideration for a wider range of 112 - 120 UCAS tariff points. With at least a grade 4/C in gcse maths.

The computer science course is accredited by BCS and IET. We also have fantastic placements and careers support teams and a lot of students decide to do a placement year in industry before returning to complete their final year.

The above link will give you loads of information on the course structure etc but apart from that, Essex is a fantastic Campus university.

You would be based at the Colchester site which is our largest Campus, and it's a little town in itself. There's loads of accommodation a short walking distance from lectures. Great sports facilities, loads of clubs and societies and a brilliant student union. There's a little shop, cafés and restaurants, our SU bar and sub-zero nightclub. We even have a Starbucks and a Costa on campus. We have a cinema that hosts weekly movie nights and there's a theatre underneath the library. The library and student centre are open 24 hours a day and the whole Campus is set within Wivenhoe Park, which is protected parkland and really beautiful all year round.

Even if Essex isn't for you, it's still worth emailing and checking with admissions departments of other universities you're interested in. You never know if they're more flexible on the entry requirements than the ones they have published, can't hurt to ask!

Best of luck this year, work hard and you might surprise yourself and get the grades you're aiming for ☺️

Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Apply this year (there are plenty of perfectly good unis for computer science at about BBB) and if your results are way better than that, then turn your place down, take a gap year and reapply. This way you cover all eventualities.
Original post by totallyfine
Apply this year (there are plenty of perfectly good unis for computer science at about BBB) and if your results are way better than that, then turn your place down, take a gap year and reapply. This way you cover all eventualities.

This

and tbh a university asking for BBB with a placement year is a better option for most students than a university asking for AAA without a placement year. Computer science has such a high unemployment rate that getting work experience through a placement is a huge advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending