The Student Room Group

Is it likely they will allow me a second resit or pass?

I can't seem to gain any clarity on my situation from anyone at the university, they've just told me to keep in touch with the faculty.

Due to the birth of my daughter and her experiencing a sereve heart condition, I haven't done as well as I had hoped during this first year. I could not pass the unit without resits as there was so many assignments I didn't hand in due to the deadline being around about the time all this occurred.

I spoke to a student advisor who advised me that I failed one of the units (which is permitted) and he encouraged me to fail the unit I was struggling most on and then take it next year when things are less stressful.

I did so and when the resits where published, I spent 7 days straight completing 7 assignments. After a lot of stress (and nearly giving up a few times) I completed all of the units. I had the intention of passing 5 and failing one to take alongside next years options.

However, I only obtained a pass in 4 units. I discovered that instead of doing the resit assignment for the failed unit, I had done the original assignment question, meaning my answer was irrelevant and they awarded me 0.

Is there anyway the university would let me resit this or mark according to the question I answered?

I just feel all that stress was for nothing if they do not allow me to pass the unit I failed on as it was such a silly mistake.

I am at Bournemouth uni.
Original post by Emmalouisa1995
I can't seem to gain any clarity on my situation from anyone at the university, they've just told me to keep in touch with the faculty.

Due to the birth of my daughter and her experiencing a sereve heart condition, I haven't done as well as I had hoped during this first year. I could not pass the unit without resits as there was so many assignments I didn't hand in due to the deadline being around about the time all this occurred.

I spoke to a student advisor who advised me that I failed one of the units (which is permitted) and he encouraged me to fail the unit I was struggling most on and then take it next year when things are less stressful.

I did so and when the resits where published, I spent 7 days straight completing 7 assignments. After a lot of stress (and nearly giving up a few times) I completed all of the units. I had the intention of passing 5 and failing one to take alongside next years options.

However, I only obtained a pass in 4 units. I discovered that instead of doing the resit assignment for the failed unit, I had done the original assignment question, meaning my answer was irrelevant and they awarded me 0.

Is there anyway the university would let me resit this or mark according to the question I answered?

I just feel all that stress was for nothing if they do not allow me to pass the unit I failed on as it was such a silly mistake.

I am at Bournemouth uni.

they might speak to the SU they might be able to help
Reply 2
Usually a lot of unis work like this...

1st take, if you fail, you resit. If you fail the resit, either you are kicked out (I know how stupid and harsh) or you are told to repeat the year ( a much better option).
Original post by Emmalouisa1995

I am at Bournemouth uni.

1. When was your daughter born on relation to when you started the course?
2. Did you make your tutor and department aware of the difficulties caused?
3. They may let you resubmit/ resit, but that mark may be capped at 40.
4. I have searched for your Uni regulations, but could only find reference to the agreement , rather than the more detailed real regulations that other Unis provide. they may be there and I missed them.
http://intranetsp.bournemouth.ac.uk/policy/BU-Student-Agreement.pdf
5. The real rules would let me know how the system works and how many resits they allow.
6.ts highly unlikely they will mark it becayse you answered the wrong question which is a fundamental error. That is your responsibility.
As I cant see the regulations then I am guessing, but they may offer you the chance to resit or retake the whole module. Only your department cna say, but you should still get in contact with your tutor and the student advisor.
7. I would put in a claim for mitigating circumstances, get the form from your department. It mentions a standard form, so dont expect too much detail.
8. You may already have submitted one, but you cna get the SU advisor to assist.
9. Unless the rules say otherwise, they seem to be informal at Bournemouth, so what happens next may depend on the discretion of your department. Your tutor should know and support you.
10. A mitigating circumstances may allow you to resubmit. The resits are in August. Its really up to them how they deal with it and I cnat advise without seeing a copy of the rules.
11. Any claim should be accompanied b by supporting medical evidence from your GP, counsellor. They may have already seen this and if so less sympathetic to a repeat claim.

12. Go and speak to the people I mentioned and prepapre a mitigating circs claim. The error was your responsibiliyu really but they might allow you to resubmit and you cna ask them not to cap it. You cna obiously point out your daughters condition, any treatement you were getting for stress and point out it is illustrated vy the fact you were distracted and answered the wrong question. Presumably you just wnat a pass so you cna proceed into year 2.
13. Be very careful if your marks are so low you start getting bare passes. First year matters less, but you really need to be on top. Perhaps consider tkaing a break from Uni and getting the situation and stress about your daughter under control, so it doesnt threaten your degree.
I'm on the media production course at bournemouth uni, however I think I might have failed one unit (I'm in first year). I filled out a mitigating circumstances form though before resubmitting my work, so will I have to repeat the year if I have failed this unit, or can I just retake (2 essays) in my second year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending