The Student Room Group

Nuffield Research for Summer '16

Hi guys.

I'm a Nuffield Research Scholar and was recently offered a research placement at Hennik, in London. However I am not too keen about this one as it does not align with my scientific interests. This actually too a while to be offered so in the mean time I sourced out other placements. A professor at Cambridge actually wants to host me for research, but after consulting with my Local coordinator, she said that I would have to withdraw from Nuffield.

Is it worth withdrawing???

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
@Plagioclase Maybe you could help here?
Original post by bant_bus
X

Original post by Edminzodo
X

I was actually rejected from the Nuffield Research Placements so I'm not in an ideal place to comment here (...although I definitely empathise with them taking ages to get back to you, that happened to me too). The only real comment I can make about Nuffield is that when I was doing work experience at the Natural History Museum, my supervisor said that their Nuffield Research Placement students had a very big workload.

I think you've got two good offers in front of you so I don't think you'd be making a big mistake either way. How long/big a placement is the one at Cambridge? If it's of a reasonable length then my gut instinct would be to go with Cambridge. Experience is experience, you're not going to get any special credit just because you were part of the Nuffield Scheme. So if the Cambridge placement is more aligned with your interests (although bear in mind that it's perfectly possible that your interests would change) and assuming that it's a firm offer, I'd go with Cambridge.
Original post by Plagioclase
I was actually rejected from the Nuffield Research Placements so I'm not in an ideal place to comment here (...although I definitely empathise with them taking ages to get back to you, that happened to me too). The only real comment I can make about Nuffield is that when I was doing work experience at the Natural History Museum, my supervisor said that their Nuffield Research Placement students had a very big workload.

I think you've got two good offers in front of you so I don't think you'd be making a big mistake either way. How long/big a placement is the one at Cambridge? If it's of a reasonable length then my gut instinct would be to go with Cambridge. Experience is experience, you're not going to get any special credit just because you were part of the Nuffield Scheme. So if the Cambridge placement is more aligned with your interests (although bear in mind that it's perfectly possible that your interests would change) and assuming that it's a firm offer, I'd go with Cambridge.

Aaw, I knew that you were rejected but thought that you could help. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest