The Student Room Group

Choosing universities

I plan to study physics at university.

I have gotten 4 A at As level and am taking maths physics and computer science at a A level.

My first choice would definitely be oxford. Idk which other 4 unis to apply to tho and how the grade requirement should be spread out. Like should i apply to unis with AAB requirement incase i dont get offers from the top unis or just apply to all AAA and higher unis. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by lyamlim97

I have gotten 4 A at As level and am taking maths physics and computer science at a A level.

My first choice would definitely be oxford. Idk which other 4 unis to apply to tho and how the grade requirement should be spread out. Like should i apply to unis with AAB requirement incase i dont get offers from the top unis or just apply to all AAA and higher unis. Thank you

Hi!

Those are great results. Well done!

Your university choices are definitely personal decisions, which I think can only be made my looking at the league tables, seeing which universities stand out, and look at people's opinions on here or on YouTube etc. Then you should visit these places.

My firm choice is A*AA and insurance is AAA for Physics and Maths. None of my choices were lower. I think with your grades, a backup university with an AAA requirement is perfectly fine.

Hope this helps :smile:
If you have 4 As at AS level + all A*/A predictions then I recommend this entry requirement spread:

2 A*AA or above
2 AAA
1 AAB where you're guaranteed an offer
Reply 3
How do you know your AS results already? Anyway, with those results, you should easily get offers from universities that require AAA (as long as your GCSE grades and personal statement are good). Bare in mind though that high entry requirements don't necessarily mean the university is good. If you find a uni that requires lower grades, but the course structure really suits you, you shouldn't be put off applying there.
Reply 4
You will get offers easily from any uni except oxbridge/imperial. I got 4 As and put some lower unis (AAB) on because I thought maybe I won't get offers but it's ridiculous, getting the offers is really the easy part. Pick the best unis that you like and you probably won't need to go below AAA entry req

It will depend partly on your predictions, but I suspect that AAB unis would be a waste of a choice unless there is something particular about the course you particularly like.
Reply 6
Original post by JoshC98
How do you know your AS results already? Anyway, with those results, you should easily get offers from universities that require AAA (as long as your GCSE grades and personal statement are good). Bare in mind though that high entry requirements don't necessarily mean the university is good. If you find a uni that requires lower grades, but the course structure really suits you, you shouldn't be put off applying there.

Im an international student so we sit our exams in nov. Meaning that my A2 exams will be this oct/nov. Alright thanks
Reply 7
Original post by PhyM23
Hi!

Those are great results. Well done!

Your university choices are definitely personal decisions, which I think can only be made my looking at the league tables, seeing which universities stand out, and look at people's opinions on here or on YouTube etc. Then you should visit these places.

My firm choice is A*AA and insurance is AAA for Physics and Maths. None of my choices were lower. I think with your grades, a backup university with an AAA requirement is perfectly fine.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you. Sadly i cant visit unis as im an international student.
Reply 8
Original post by TelAviv
If you have 4 As at AS level + all A*/A predictions then I recommend this entry requirement spread:

2 A*AA or above
2 AAA
1 AAB where you're guaranteed an offer

Hmm, thing is if i dont get into oxford, imperial or perhaps manchester, I wont be studying in the uk and might go to canada to study.
Reply 9
Hmm, thing is if i dont get into oxford, imperial or perhaps manchester, I wont be studying in the uk and might go to canada to study.

Why Oxford rather than Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Why Oxford rather than Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do straight up physics and not natural sciences. And i would probably transfer to the MMathPhys at oxford in the 4th year.
Reply 11
I want to do straight up physics and not natural sciences. And i would probably transfer to the MMathPhys at oxford in the 4th year.

Fair enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending