The Student Room Group

My sibling drinking @ 17 - slightly worried

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timokane5
Why you worried? Are you worried because I am still healthy and well at 24? Are you worried that my liver is somewhat better than others who may have been drinking at a younger age? Underage drinking has SEVERE consequences - whether you choose to believe that or not is a different story altogether

Do you think everyone who drinks is an alcoholic? Doesn't know when enough is enough?

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has one night where they go way beyond their limits and from then on they are more responsible and know when to stop.

Also, while yes your liver may be healthier than mine (but that can never be proved, who knows mine might still be healthier), I would much rather enjoy drinking with my friends and having fun than being a no fun mummy's boy.
Reply 21
Original post by FXX
controlling*

Oh and that is a bad thing right? Looking out for people.
People are trying to give you logical reasoning and perspective, and all you're doing is throwing shade at them from your high horse.

Drinking alcohol doesn't automatically mean binging and alcoholism. Just be a good brother and keep an eye on her without suffocating her, that's literally all you should be doing.
Reply 23
Hi,

So I am 24 years old and I only started drinking - well very tiny sips of spirits recently. The thing is, I have noticed that my sister has had drinks before at the age of 17 and even recently took shots with me at a mates party - where even I did not want to take the shots. I told her that we are both not doing it but in the end I was pressured to do it.

The thing is, I was brought in a strict household and I wouldn't dare do something like drinking underage before getting parental consent. I am just respectful of my parents. I asked them if I could drink at 24 and they said yes - however my sister did it behind all of our backs. I just fear that she may go on to do other things that I may not necessarily approve of such as smoking weed.

I don't know what to do and people are calling me a wuss and a mummy's boy. To be fair, I appreciate family value and being brought up in such a culture I would usually make a confession

You sound like such a killjoy.
Reply 24
"hey guys I need advice for this scenario"

"okay here is all this advice for this scenario"

"what the **** how dare you I'm the best brother ever"
I asked them if I could drink at 24 and they said yes

lol at being 24 and asking your parents permission to drink alcohol.

Original post by Jenx301
Bet you're fun at parties

:laugh:
While it's okay for you to choose not to drink, it is also okay for your sister to drink on private property. Particularly if she is 17 the drinking age thing seems pretty moot. If she is drinking over the recommended units regularly that is a cause for concern but make sure, if this does happen, you raise it as a health concern and don't come across as judgmental.

Your parents sound rather strict, so it's no surprise she didn't ask permission because she thinks they would say no (especially as she's technically underage).

ETA: It's also not okay that people are teasing you about not drinking. Most of my peers stopped drinking with any kind of regularity by the time we hit 21. It's totally fine if you want to drink nothing or just a little OP.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

So I am 24 years old and I only started drinking - well very tiny sips of spirits recently. The thing is, I have noticed that my sister has had drinks before at the age of 17 and even recently took shots with me at a mates party - where even I did not want to take the shots. I told her that we are both not doing it but in the end I was pressured to do it.

The thing is, I was brought in a strict household and I wouldn't dare do something like drinking underage before getting parental consent. I am just respectful of my parents. I asked them if I could drink at 24 and they said yes - however my sister did it behind all of our backs. I just fear that she may go on to do other things that I may not necessarily approve of such as smoking weed.

I don't know what to do and people are calling me a wuss and a mummy's boy. To be fair, I appreciate family value and being brought up in such a culture I would usually make a confession

let's be the devils advocate here

Why do you care? Let her ruin her own life if she wants.... not your problem
Hi,

The only thing worrying in all this is that a 24 year old asked their parents if they could drink. You're an adult ffs do what you want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
I dunno what this says about me but all the way through I thought OP was a girl until it said 'mummy's boy' and I was like whaaat.

Also, I was getting drunk at 13 and not that I'm advocating it but I turned out fine
Reply 30
Original post by Farlan
"hey guys I need advice for this scenario"

"okay here is all this advice for this scenario"

"what the **** how dare you I'm the best brother ever"

People often post these advice-seeking things because subconsciously they are looking for confirmation that they're right. I know because I've done it haha
Reply 31
Original post by abc:)
People often post these advice-seeking things because subconsciously they are looking for confirmation that they're right. I know because I've done it haha

falls on its arse a bit when op's wrong though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending