The Student Room Group

Boyfriend addicted to alcohol :S Help appreciated x

My boyfriend became addicted to alcohol. I only found out when he broke up with me because of it. We got back together, and he quit. He hasn't drank for a few months and now wants to start drinking again, but not as much as he used to. Is it reasonable for me to be angry and upset about this? I have told him I don't want him to drink again yet because it hurt me and the relationship so much. Any advice on what I should do? Thank you all <3

Scroll to see replies

Assert yourself. Tell him it's either you or the alcohol.
Reply 2
and if he chooses the alcohol it was never going to work in the first place
I wouldn't be too happy either. If you're not happy, leave.
Reply 4
I was thinking about saying that, but I can't control his life and decisions. I don't want to be a controlling *****.
Original post by MissFun
I was thinking about saying that, but I can't control his life and decisions. I don't want to be a controlling *****.

It has a direct effect on your relationship, a negative one at that. It is your business, even if it is his choice.
There are varying degrees of alcohol problems. Has it being diagnosed as addiction or is that just your description of it?

Its up to you really. Give him the ultimatum if you don't think he is capable of drinking responsibly and your not prepared to put up with it. Or you can tell him you'd prefer him not to drink. If he drinks, you can give him a chance to see if he can drink responsibly.
Reply 7
Original post by Sternumator
There are varying degrees of alcohol problems. Has it being diagnosed as addiction or is that just your description of it?

Its up to you really. Give him the ultimatum if you don't think he is capable of drinking responsibly and your not prepared to put up with it. Or you can tell him you'd prefer him not to drink. If he drinks, you can give him a chance to see if he can drink responsibly.

He hasn't been diagnosed but he drank every day and it led to the break up eventually. It brings back horrible feelings for me and I won't be happy when he is drinking. Maybe I could wait and see.
Yes, it is reasonable for you to be angry with this. Eventually, alcohol is going to start controlling the relationship.
Talk to him about how you feel. I would be assertive with him and ask him he can pick the alcohol or you. And if he picks the alcohol, he never really loved you. You aren't controlling the relationship, you are looking out for him.
Original post by MissFun
He hasn't been diagnosed but he drank every day and it led to the break up eventually. It brings back horrible feelings for me and I won't be happy when he is drinking. Maybe I could wait and see.

Why did it break up the relationship? I would judge him on his behaviour towards you and not how much he drinks. To me drinking every day is not a problem in itself, only if it leads to other undesirable behaviour. But if drinking in itself is a problem for you, that is perfectly valid. You have to decide.
Reply 10
Why did it break up the relationship? I would judge him on his behaviour towards you and not how much he drinks. To me drinking every day is not a problem in itself, only if it leads to other undesirable behaviour. But if drinking in itself is a problem for you, that is perfectly valid. You have to decide.

He felt like the drinking would end up hurting me so didn't want to put me through it, and it meant we couldn't see each other as much as he was drunk often. Yeah it became a problem and its much better now that he doesn't drink.
is he drinking in moderate amounts i.e less than 21 units per week? If not, then he has to make a choice between you or the bottle
Original post by MissFun
He felt like the drinking would end up hurting me so didn't want to put me through it, and it meant we couldn't see each other as much as he was drunk often. Yeah it became a problem and its much better now that he doesn't drink.

I'd be asking him why if he thought drinking would end up hurting you before, what has changed since. It is strange that he realised it was a problem for him before but has changed his mind about it.

It is possible for people who previously had a drinking problem, to develop more healthy drink habits without complete abstinence. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
He has already detoxed though so there is nothing a doctor can do other than advise not to drink.
Easy fix, be strict an say only drink when he's with you, that way it's not you or the alcohol it's more a group/social thing and he enjoys spending time with you and drinking, obviously not every time he's with you and if he begins to go overboard you can help him. Explain how you don't want to be co trolling hut supportive and that you understand. Best of luck

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Reply 15
I'd be asking him why if he thought drinking would end up hurting you before, what has changed since. It is strange that he realised it was a problem for him before but has changed his mind about it.

It is possible for people who previously had a drinking problem, to develop more healthy drink habits without complete abstinence. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

He is convinced he won't get addicted again and that he knows how bad it would be if he did, so I'm hoping he will drink moderately and it'll be fine.

You don't need to be diagnosed as an alcoholic to be an alcoholic.
Original post by MissFun
He is convinced he won't get addicted again and that he knows how bad it would be if he did, so I'm hoping he will drink moderately and it'll be fine.

As someone who has studied addiction at degree level, and also as someone whose father is and always has been an alcoholic, he will not drink moderately. It will not be fine. If he is an alcoholic, going backing to drinking will not be moderate. You need to lay down his options, you or alcohol.
Original post by Twinpeaks
You don't need to be diagnosed as an alcoholic to be an alcoholic.

Of course but what people describe as "alcohol addiction" could mean a lot of things ranging from any kind of regular drinking to full blown physical dependence.

From the Op, it could just be that he went through a period of drinking too much, recognised that and stopped and now wants to start drinking again more moderately.

My point is that it is that it is perfectly possible that this time around he can drink in moderation because it doesn't sound as though this was part of a serious pattern of alcohol abuse given that Op didn't even notice it.

*For many people moderation is a more realistic goal than total abstinence.
Did he drink heavy before or after you dated. You can't get mad at him if you get with him when you've somehow been made aware he is a bad drinker. Leave, or stay and hush.

I personally as I said in my own thread before, would never turn my back on them because I don't want someone to leave me for drinking or whatever else I do >_>

Send him to rehab and support him. Demote him to just friends who you care for.

That being said, spice is one helluva drug man. O___O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending