The Student Room Group

1st year adult nursing placements

Hi there. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on here who has completed their 1st year of adult nursing and can tell me, roughly, when and how long the placements are?
Original post by Happychick1
Hi there. I'm just wondering if there is anyone on here who has completed their 1st year of adult nursing and can tell me, roughly, when and how long the placements are?

The nature and duration of first year placements vary based on university to university, do you have an idea of where you want to study, there's more than likely someone about who's studying there who can give you a detailed reply
Reply 2
Sorry. I should have said uws hamilton

It depends on the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by babyshawte
It depends on the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 1/3 days
Reply 5

Hi there :smile: I think it depends on which university you are, but mine were split into a main placement (in which you would return to) and minor placements (which don't last as long).
My first placement was on a ward in November, this lasted for around 4 weeks, I was off for Christmas after this, and then went on a placement with a health visiting team for 2 weeks. I was then back at uni before going on a very long placement of 12 weeks, I was on the ward again for 4 weeks, a mental health placement for 2 weeks and back on the ward for 6 weeks.
I think all of this was fine, but once you return for the final 6 weeks it feels like a very long time, by now you should know the routine of the ward, but it can get very tiring. All of these placements were to teach you about communication and the fundamentals of nursing. They are extremely helpful (I really enjoyed my minor placements and seeing different areas) but I didn't find the ward the most interesting after a while.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you! That was a very informative reply and much appreciated. What uni did you go to? I imagine wards to be the toughest. I suppose I will just need to take it as it comes 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Thank you! That was a very informative reply and much appreciated. What uni did you go to? I imagine wards to be the toughest. I suppose I will just need to take it as it comes 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently at the end of second year at Northumbria University and I find that they are very very tiring, I had to do 13 hour shifts. You'll probably either have to work 3 x 13hrs a week or 2x 7hrs and 2 x13hrs (you have to make up time for breaks although you don't get paid). I didn't find the ward work hard as in the content of it, its just very tiring. Get yourself some comfortable shoes!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Mango65
I'm currently at the end of second year at Northumbria University and I find that they are very very tiring, I had to do 13 hour shifts. You'll probably either have to work 3 x 13hrs a week or 2x 7hrs and 2 x13hrs (you have to make up time for breaks although you don't get paid). I didn't find the ward work hard as in the content of it, its just very tiring. Get yourself some comfortable shoes!! :smile:

Thanks Mango65 I'll need to stock up on energy supplements! Thanks for your help
Reply 9
Thanks Mango65 I'll need to stock up on energy supplements! Thanks for your help

It's okay and yeah, take good lunches to work too :wink: haha
How many attempts do u have to redo ur exams or assignments if u fail?
Reply 11
Original post by Zainab96
How many attempts do u have to redo ur exams or assignments if u fail?

Hi, again I think it may depend on the uni but we have the first attempt, a second attempt and then if we fail that we get put back 6 months, if we then fail it, there will be a discussion about resitting the year or the possibility of leaving the course. I found the assignments the hardest thing, which was weird because i'm usually okay with writing, I got a B at A level English, but its quite a different way of writing. The OSCE and other exams you should be fine with if you practice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending