The Student Room Group

Wolverhampton adult nursing

Hi I will be starting my foundation year in adult nursing but want to ask anyone who is starting their 1st year how the placement and uni days are set?
Original post by S.iqbal109
Hi I will be starting my foundation year in adult nursing but want to ask anyone who is starting their 1st year how the placement and uni days are set?

Hi and welcome to nursing!

I've just finished my first year so I can give you the most up to date information based on a September intake.

September- you will have 2 modules launched- 4NH026 and 4NH040. You will be on campus 3 times per week.

October through December- you will be at university 3 times per week, occasionally 4 times on some weeks.

January- Exams are due and 2 new modules are launched- 4NH027 and 4NH028, but only 4NH028 will be studied at this point. You will be expected at university 2 times a week.

February to March- You will continue 4NH028 but you will also start placement. You will be expected at university once per week, on a Friday, and 2 to 3 times per week on placement.

April- Exams are due. You will now start studing 4NH027 whilst continuing placement.
You will be expected at university once every other week on a Friday. Placement will be 3 times a week for those weeks which you are expected to be at university and 4 times per week for those weeks which you will not be expected at university.

May- you will continue doing 3 days on placement and 1 day at university, with 4 days on placement on alternate weeks.

June- presentation and ePad are due. You must ensure you have achieved all proficiencies on ePad.
You will be expected to be on placement 3 times a week.

July- assuming ePad and modules are passed, you will be concentrating on placement only. You will be expected to do 37.5 hours per week. This month counts towards the 150 hours we must do extra each year. Note that these hours act as a buffer in case you fall short during the current or future years. If you have fallen short of a massive amount of hours, you will be able to make them up during the make up weeks in August.

However, some students do 2 full days and 1 half day on placement in February and March which will leave them shorter on hours later on.
I suggest you do placement 3 days per week consistently and 4 days per week later on in May and June when you are expected at university every other Friday. You will have a greater advantage then as at the end of the year university makes everyone feel pressured about the practical hours.

Towards the end of June and July the hours can drag and make you feel you are giving your all without getting paid, acknowledged, and with the feeling that you are not learning anything new and exciting.
This is your time to shine! This is where you will learn the meaning of resilience. My advice is- say to yourself, today you will learn one new thing and let it be your mission to find it, even if it means reading through every note, speaking to housekeepers, cleaning technicians, porters, doctors, patients, etc.
Find it and research it further. Use this time to spend time with other teams to expand your knowledge and understanding and again research it further. If anything comes up in dialogue or reading material that you don't know or that you think you know but couldn't really explain it to someone else, then write it down and research it.

This journey will have ups and downs but you will enjoy it. At the end of the day, we are humans and we have the ability to adapt, so run with it and you will do great.

All the best!

Maria
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending