The Student Room Group

Have I choosen the right A Level's?

Hello, I'm still not confident in some of the A Levels I have picked.
I'm going to my secondary school's sixth form, and have picked
- Philosophy and Ethics
- Theatre Studies
- History
- Art and Design
I have already changed my options once before, from Psychology to History. Furthermore, I also have been undecided on whenever or not to take Art and Design or Fine Art. Art and Design would allow me to work in 3-D and 2-D, whereas Fine Art is focused on drawing and painting.
My main strength in Art has always been drawing, that's pretty much all I can do confidently - so I would love to develop my drawing further and learn more about painting. However, Art and Design would allow me to explore more and have more freedom with mediums. It would also be nice to explore 3-D.
On the induction day I went to both Art and Design, and Fine Art, and in all honesty I did enjoy Fine Art more. However, after talking to both of the teachers they both told me that they would love for me to be on the course. The Art and Design teachers told me that I could stick to drawing through-out the course if I wanted to. If this was the case I may have well picked Fine Art. Reguardless, after the induction day I was left in the same situation, undecided.
I know that I am probably overthinking a lot, but I would like some advice from another point of view.
I guess my main question is - how did you know that you picked the right A Levels?
Thank you, for taking the time to read - Molly.
I have no idea about the art thing sorry, but honestly do subjects you enjoy (chances are you'll do better in ones you enjoy rather than the ones you don't like as much) and also think about what you want to do in the future? I know it seems early now, but some courses might require specific A levels so it's worth having a look

Also I did philosophy and ethics and personally didn't like it :laugh:
Original post by mollybroke
- Philosophy and Ethics
- Theatre Studies
- History
- Art and Design
I have already changed my options once before, from Psychology to History. Furthermore, I also have been undecided on whenever or not to take Art and Design or Fine Art. Art and Design would allow me to work in 3-D and 2-D, whereas Fine Art is focused on drawing and painting.
My main strength in Art has always been drawing, that's pretty much all I can do confidently - so I would love to develop my drawing further and learn more about painting. However, Art and Design would allow me to explore more and have more freedom with mediums. It would also be nice to explore 3-D.
On the induction day I went to both Art and Design, and Fine Art, and in all honesty I did enjoy Fine Art more. However, after talking to both of the teachers they both told me that they would love for me to be on the course. The Art and Design teachers told me that I could stick to drawing through-out the course if I wanted to. If this was the case I may have well picked Fine Art. Reguardless, after the induction day I was left in the same situation, undecided.
I know that I am probably overthinking a lot, but I would like some advice from another point of view.
I guess my main question is - how did you know that you picked the right A Levels?

I think you made the right choice with Art and Design, as like you said it'll give you more room to explore. You might surprise yourself with different strengths!
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
I have no idea about the art thing sorry, but honestly do subjects you enjoy (chances are you'll do better in ones you enjoy rather than the ones you don't like as much) and also think about what you want to do in the future? I know it seems early now, but some courses might require specific A levels so it's worth having a look

That's another problem is I'm not to sure what I want to do quite yet, oops. If you don't mind me asking, what was it about philosophy and ethics you didn't like?
Reply 4
The only good option their is history seriously if your doing A levels your most likely going to go onto university, and the top/higher universities wont even allow you to enter with those A-levels.
Reply 5
Original post by RS012
The only good option their is history seriously if your doing A levels your most likely going to go onto university, and the top/higher universities wont even allow you to enter with those A-levels.

this is rubbish by the way.*
- Philosophy and Ethics
- Theatre Studies
- History
- Art and Design

Chosen* :smile:

You should take subjects you're passionate about and enjoy studying; A levels are in far more depth than GCSE's and taking subjects you don't enjoy will inevitably result in you getting bad grades. Saying that, you also must take subjects you're strong in e.g. You're good at art so art is a good choice for you but if you're not good at science but enjoy it, I wouldn't take it (I know this doesn't apply to you, just an example.)

My A levels were chosen on the basis I enjoyed them but to be honest, by the time you reach the end of A2, you start hating your subjects :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Pick subjects you think you can get A's in. No point picking something that ' looks good ' cause a poor grade won't look good for UCAS.
Reply 8
if your planning on going into a career with little skill then i guess these A levels would work, but seriously do you think somewhere like bath or oxford for example would pick someone who has picked art, theater and philosophy. Its the harsh truth and there is a reason WHY universities put on their websites preferred and non preferred subjects, if you are picking 3 easy A levels and 1 harder A level your not getting into high unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EmilyPlatypus

Can you tell me a bit more about philosophy and ethics and why you didn't like it please
Reply 10
Original post by RS012
if your planning on going into a career with little skill then i guess these A levels would work, but seriously do you think somewhere like bath or oxford for example would pick someone who has picked art, theater and philosophy. Its the harsh truth and there is a reason WHY universities put on their websites preferred and non preferred subjects, if you are picking 3 easy A levels and 1 harder A level your not getting into high unis.

Lovely. Personally, I'm not looking to go into Bath or Oxford. And from what you are saying about these so called 'high unis' I wouldn't want to go there anyway, by what your saying I wouldn't fit in very well.The entry requirements for Oxford is A*A*A* or AAA, and of course as any university course there are other set requirements such as UCAS points or taking a certain A Level's - for example if I wanted to study Chemistry at university (which I do not) I should take Chemistry as an A Level - this makes sense.I'm sure that these A Levels would not lead me with a career that is 'unskilled', as you say. By my definition none of them are exactly unskilled, Art, Theater, Philosophy, and History are all skilled in different ways. I hope you understand that, and can appreciate them. As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as an 'easy A Level' I can assure you that people all have different strengths and weakness and therefore what is easy for one person may be difficult for another.
Reply 11
Don't listen to the people who say that higher universities won't accept you with those offers!!!!!!! My year 12 options were Psychology (uni choice), Philosophy and Ethics, Media, and drama (dropped.) I got offers from Russell Group Unis including Warwick which is very high up. Also Exeter (my favourite and first choice) and York. For Exeter I even got a lower offer than someone who studies sciences for the same course.

SO- don't listen to the people who think that you can't do well without maths, core maths, additional maths and further additional quadruple maths... Do the subjects that you ENJOY, I loved doing philosophy and that kept me working hard, never choose an A Level as you 'ought to' ONLY DO WHAT YOU ENJOY.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's another problem is I'm not to sure what I want to do quite yet, oops. If you don't mind me asking, what was it about philosophy and ethics you didn't like?

Original post by matty1001
Can you tell me a bit more about philosophy and ethics and why you didn't like it please

This is personal experience and I do not want to put you off, this is just my experience.
I did really well in GCSE RS and I liked my teacher so I picked philosophy and turns out my teacher left and it's nothing like GCSE (I think I was a bit naive)

Anyways the teaching wasn't great (which is probably just my school, so I wouldn't worry about that) and the whole course just seemed repetitive.
We learned the content which was interesting enough, but once the content is learned it is just constantly writing and rewriting the same essays and it was just a drain and so time consuming. In addition our teachers always compared us to one another like "so and so did great but someone else did crap" and she'd call people out and it wasn't really fair.
I managed to get a B but the whole teacher thing drained me and it looked even worse at A2 so I just dropped it

Basically my experience wasn't great because of the teaching mostly but the essay writing was also a drain. (I did edexcel) :smile:
Original post by TMC113
Don't listen to the people who say that higher universities won't accept you with those offers!!!!!!! My year 12 options were Psychology (uni choice), Philosophy and Ethics, Media, and drama (dropped.) I got offers from Russell Group Unis including Warwick which is very high up. Also Exeter (my favourite and first choice) and York. For Exeter I even got a lower offer than someone who studies sciences for the same course.

SO- don't listen to the people who think that you can't do well without maths, core maths, additional maths and further additional quadruple maths... Do the subjects that you ENJOY, I loved doing philosophy and that kept me working hard, never choose an A Level as you 'ought to' ONLY DO WHAT YOU ENJOY.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking, but what grades got you into Exeter? Thanks :-)
Reply 14
Original post by twhiddy
If you don't mind me asking, but what grades got you into Exeter? Thanks :-)

I got AAAC in my ASs, dropping the C. I have an offer of AAB, just waiting for the results
Original post by TMC113
I got AAAC in my ASs, dropping the C. I have an offer of AAB, just waiting for the results

wow! good luck to you on results day!

Quick Reply

Latest