The Student Room Group

Merkel stands by migrant policy

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/28/europe/germany-merkel-security-refugee-policy/index.html?sr=fbcnni072816germany-merkel-security-refugee-policy1237PMVODtopLink&linkId=27029200

Despite everything that's been happening in Germany in the past week, and the rest of Europe over the past year, Merkel still thinks she's doing the right thing by bringing in lots of migrants...

Scroll to see replies

Well she has to stand by it, doesn't she? She knows, her government knows, her people (germans) know, and we (rest of Western society) know it has failed, but she has to defend it to the bitter end.

This open-door policy for immigration was doomed from the start.
Germany's pathos of the absolute strikes again.
This woman is insane.
Original post by The Roast
Well she has to stand by it, doesn't she? She knows, her government knows, her people (germans) know, and we (rest of Western society) know it has failed, but she has to defend it to the bitter end.

why does she have to stand by it? I suspect at this point she knows exactly what she's doing though, wants to flood the country with millions upon millions of people that will keep voting her party in.
Original post by The Roast

I see what you mean, but isn't there an election in Germany next year? I'm sure a lot of people would give her a lot of begrudging respect if she admitted it was a big fat mistake, and clamping down henceforth.
Reply 6
Can someone test her for mental disorders please, I am getting worried
To be fair, what a lot of people don't seem to be taking into account when they expect her to regret her decision, is that she knew full well that we'd get terrorist attacks and loads of rape from the start, She (and all those who backed the decision, including all those on TSR who said "refugees welcome") just considered these things to be an affordable cost for "doing the right thing". Nobody on the planet is thick enough not to assume this would be the state of play. But again, they decided it was a price worth paying.
She's only in for a little over a year, thank god. Hopefully AfD wins.
Reply 9
Original post by MildredMalone
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/28/europe/germany-merkel-security-refugee-policy/index.html?sr=fbcnni072816germany-merkel-security-refugee-policy1237PMVODtopLink&linkId=27029200

Despite everything that's been happening in Germany in the past week, and the rest of Europe over the past year, Merkel still thinks she's doing the right thing by bringing in lots of migrants...

Joke in a very bad fashion. In fact not even funny
She exploited the refugee crisis for cheap labour before considering the social impacts mass migration has on the population that is already there. Very silly move, but she has to stand by it, she's probably regretting it.
Merkel cowers to Islamic threats more like

And people act surprised when the far right rises

Posted from TSR Mobile
This was Merkels biggest mistake in her career. This will go down in history.

I actually like(ed) Merkel because she's extremely calculating, calm, analytical and she knows what she's talking about. How she did not see the migrant crisis coming is absolutely insanely mind boggling for me.......

The "Wir schaffen das" is the new epithet for naivety.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't see how Europe can ever recover from the deluge. A foolish mistake that will cost the civilised world greatly.

I don't suppose there's any loophole that the next party in power could deport them all? Especially those involved in crime, and/or with little understanding of Western behaviour and customs?
Reply 14
Original post by MildredMalone

At least someone sticks to their words;however she'll heavily regret her actions. I guess the best way forward now for Merkel is to call for extra security at borders with relevant personnel doing vigorous checks before allowing migrants and other people into Germany. However, does this mean delays at borders and still mean authorities are ineffective in dealing with such attacks? France is a good example ...
Good. There's no reason to give in to fear, racism and Islamophobia.
As already mentioned, it's not surprising she's defended this. Though by far this is one of the most catastrophic decisions she's ever made and will pretty much cripple the CD/CSU after their previous strong election results.

Also, AfD are not going to win with an overall majority. at the next election at all If any German party is barmy enough to enter a coalition with them then it could happen, but all the "major parties" are nowhere near the right-wing area of the spectrum.
Reply 17
Original post by Galaxie501

I actually like(ed) Merkel because she's extremely calculating, calm, analytical and she knows what she's talking about. How she did not see the migrant crisis coming is absolutely insanely mind boggling for me...

Yes, I think exactly the same. Politicians shouldn't make more than two terms, they lose touch with the people in their third term (same with Thatcher).
Stupid policy.The problem with multiculturalism is that there seems to be this fallacious idea that all cultures are equal.Thats just not true.Our culture is superior to most middle-eastern cultures and opening the door to everyone was bound to cause problems.What she basically did was import a bunch of 14th century christians into modern europe without any checks at all.Obviously we should help genuine refugees but there has to be a better way of doing it than that.
I also believe that it should be mandatory thatpresidents and chancellors have children of their own.

You should not lead a country when you have no stakes in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending