The Student Room Group

NHS funded medical degree for graduate entry?

I am currently in the process of applying for 2017 entry to medicine in England or Northern and i'm wondering if anyone else on TSR has had NHS funding for a medical degree and how exactly the system works?
I am currently undertaking my pre-registration year to become a pharmacist after completing my Master of Pharmacy course. I would like to go to QUB in Northern Ireland, but am also looking for alternative universities in England, just incase I don't meet the entry requirements, due to the full academic background required.

I have been in contact with NHS finance, and from what I understand, they fund the accelerated, 4 year, medicine degree from year 2 onwards and the also fund the full medicine course from year 5 onwards.

I am looking into the NHS funding simply because with university fees in England now >9,000, it would be impossible to self finance. Has anyone else on TSR done what I hope to do?
The relevant info can be found here. Do you mean the possibility of a full bursary to cover your tuition fees? I think there is only a partial bursary from the NHS that covers £3,375 each year from Y2 onwards for the 4 year course. This means you would need to pay the rest of the £9,000. As expensive as it is, there is the option to apply for tuition and maintenance loans from Student Finance (just as for your first degree), which you would not need to pay back until you start FY1. I believe dependent on the school, there may be additional sources of financial support available to you (based on your household income) - you need to investigate on the school's website.
Original post by 3Timmi
I am currently in the process of applying for 2017 entry to medicine in England or Northern and i'm wondering if anyone else on TSR has had NHS funding for a medical degree and how exactly the system works?
I am currently undertaking my pre-registration year to become a pharmacist after completing my Master of Pharmacy course. I would like to go to QUB in Northern Ireland, but am also looking for alternative universities in England, just incase I don't meet the entry requirements, due to the full academic background required.

I have been in contact with NHS finance, and from what I understand, they fund the accelerated, 4 year, medicine degree from year 2 onwards and the also fund the full medicine course from year 5 onwards.

I am looking into the NHS funding simply because with university fees in England now >9,000, it would be impossible to self finance. Has anyone else on TSR done what I hope to do?

So the NHS will fund £3565 of your fees in years 2-4. Student finance will fund the other £5435 with a fees loan which you can have every year. So you do have to find £3565 for fees in your first year. Some unis have bursaries but for the most part you need to fund this yourself. As for living costs, you get the normal access to student finance loans in the first year, and then you can get £2300 or so maximum from 2nd year onwards. The NHS will also give you a grant for maintenance from 2nd year, part of which is dependant on your/your parents' income.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
So the NHS will fund £3565 of your fees in years 2-4. Student finance will fund the other £5435 with a fees loan which you can have every year. So you do have to find £3565 for fees in your first year. Some unis have bursaries but for the most part you need to fund this yourself. As for living costs, you get the normal access to student finance loans in the first year, and then you can get £2300 or so maximum from 2nd year onwards. The NHS will also give you a grant for maintenance from 2nd year, part of which is dependant on your/your parents' income.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this for the A101 course? or for all graduate entry courses? Kings do A102 and i'm struggling to find out if they allow you to get student finance and NHS bursaries
Reply 4
The 4 year GEM courses will be part funded by NHS and student finance.

You simply have to find around £3.5k in Year 1.

The 5 year normal undergrad courses must be funded by yourself for the £9k tuition fees Years 1 to 4. Year 5 will be funded by the NHS. During this 5 year course, you will be eligible to apply for a yearly maintenance loan from student finance.

Yes, there are people on TSR who are on GEM courses and also people who are self funding the 5 year course.

With GEM courses, you usually require a high UKCAT score so have you completed this? It's competitive but do-able.
Reply 5
Original post by lizziesoffe
Is this for the A101 course? or for all graduate entry courses? Kings do A102 and i'm struggling to find out if they allow you to get student finance and NHS bursaries

Yes the Kings A102 course is also a GEM course and has the same funding rules as above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending