The Student Room Group

16 year old at private International School in Europe. Anything to ask?

So after seeing the popular Eton College thread, I thought I'd make one of my own.
I've been at this International School in Switzerland since 2006, so know the ins and outs of everything.

Fire away!
Original post by ReddingtonZoey
So after seeing the popular Eton College thread, I thought I'd make one of my own.
I've been at this International School in Switzerland since 2006, so know the ins and outs of everything.

Fire away!

I'm curious, why would your parents waste money on a Swiss international school (and deprive you of the chance of learning a second language) when Swiss public schools are excellent?
Original post by Snufkin
I'm curious, why would your parents waste money on a Swiss international school (and deprive you of the chance of learning a second language) when Swiss public schools are excellent?

I've learnt fluent Swiss/German through the school I went to :smile:
I've learnt fluent Swiss/German through the school I went to :smile:

Native level or IB-standard? The latter isn't fluency.
If Brexit actually happens, what happens to you?
Reply 5
How much are your parents paying to send you there? And what's it like being removed from the struggles of ordinary people?
Original post by Snufkin
Native level or IB-standard? The latter isn't fluency.

I mix of both, I suppose. German classes have taught me a lot, but also just being about in Switzerland helps so much. I never don't understand anyone, the only weakness I may have to a native speaker is that they know vocabulary that would be rarely used in conversation!
Original post by Dejomony
If Brexit actually happens, what happens to you?

Haha I'll be honest, I'm not sure! I'm planning on going to university in England but the rest of my family will remain in Switzerland, so I'm guessing that it won't affect us hugely until we've all left - if we do.
Original post by jb1702
How much are your parents paying to send you there? And what's it like being removed from the struggles of ordinary people?

I think the base fee is CHF40,000 per school year, so about £31,000. Honestly, I think everyone at the school is a normal person. Some people have only been here for a year or two, and before that they were in another country in a local school. Others, such as myself, have been at other international schools, and others have been here their whole life. There are obviously some mega-rich students but the majority are here purely because of their parent's jobs. When I'm out in public in Switzerland or another country I don't think to myself "Pff, all these people are such ordinary peasant's." It just happens to be that I have different experiences to most people.
What level are you studying at?
Original post by Antediluvian
What level are you studying at?

I start the IB in 3 weeks :smile:
I start the IB in 3 weeks :smile:

what subjects will you be doing for the IB?
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
what subjects will you be doing for the IB?

HL English Lang&Lit, HL German, HL Economics
SL Maths, SL Biology, SL Geography
Reply 13
3 cheeky questions...
Is your family Swiss?
Also would you speak English or German in school (in and out of classroom)?
Which nationalities are prominent there?
Original post by rolaah
3 cheeky questions...
Is your family Swiss?
Also would you speak English or German in school (in and out of classroom)?
Which nationalities are prominent there?

No my family is not Swiss, Swiss people aren't actually allowed to come to our school!

Every class is in English except German/French/Spanish class. With school friends everyone speaks English to each other (unless, for example, two French kids are talking to each other). Everyone speaks different levels of languages though, so sometimes I'll speak a language with one friend that another friend can't understand if I don't want them to know what we're saying! But everybody speaks fluent English. Out-of-school-friends are normally Swiss, so I'll speak Swiss with them.

There's a lot of English and Americans there, in my grade at least. Quite a few Belgians and Dutch too, and a handful of Germans. Maybe 10-15% of the high school is Asian, but there are barely any Eastern Europeans. Overall the school is really diverse and there are multiple people from each continent (except Antarctica :wink:)

Hope that answered your questions!

Quick Reply

Latest