The Student Room Group

Im going to get higher A levels than predicted

I was predicted AABB for A Level but i have a feeling i'm going to get 4 A * as i worked my arse off. Should i go through adjustement and apply for the likes of Oxbridge or should i stick to Liverpool uni which is my firm choice?
Original post by asos98
I was predicted AABB for A Level but i have a feeling i'm going to get 4 A * as i worked my arse off. Should i go through adjustement and apply for the likes of Oxbridge or should i stick to Liverpool uni which is my firm choice?

Aim higher, mate. If you see that you have the opportunity to get into the likes of the Oxbridge for the course you want, then take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Aim higher, mate. If you see that you have the opportunity to get into the likes of the Oxbridge for the course you want, then take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what i was thinking, i'll call them and see what they say. I know Liverpool uni is pretty good but Oxbridge will give me sick graduate prospects, especially for Law.
Reply 3
I want to go to the uni that gives me the best graduate prospects
Reply 4
Original post by asos98
I want to go to the uni that gives me the best graduate prospects

You might get the same graduate prospects else where, depends what you're like as a person really.
Reply 5
I want to study Law, then hopefully become a corporate solicitor
Reply 6
Original post by anna__
You might get the same graduate prospects else where, depends what you're like as a person really.

Yeah i agree but Oxbridge will give me greater opportunities than Liverpool, at least that's what i assume
Original post by asos98

Oxbridge themselves do not participate in clearing. This may or may not be because they have their own pick of people who actually applied and were rejected post-interview, so they know way more about how capable the student is. This doesn't stop you from applying next year, however.

As for whether you should not go to Liverpool - up to you. If you are in doubt over whether you'll love it there then don't go.

Here is a guide to adjustment written on TSR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Oxbridge themselves do not participate in clearing. This may or may not be because they have their own pick of people who actually applied and were rejected post-interview, so they know way more about how capable the student is. This doesn't stop you from applying next year, however.

As for whether you should not go to Liverpool - up to you. If you are in doubt over whether you'll love it there then don't go.

Here is a guide to adjustment written on TSR.

I've been to Liverpool and absolutley love it there, it's also close to home. The only doubts i have when it comes to it is the league rankings, i'll have to sleep on it.
Maybe wait until you get your actual results before deciding?
Original post by asos98
I've been to Liverpool and absolutley love it there, it's also close to home. The only doubts i have when it comes to it is the league rankings, i'll have to sleep on it.

I see. I don't know a huge amount about how important random league table rankings are, though there is a clear general 'ranking', like you know that Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, LSE and maybe one or two other universities are 'better' in some way than Liverpool, but after that personally I do not see a massive difference once you move on from those universities. It's not just the name or prestige of a university that matters though - it's other things like how well you as an individual do academically as well as in extra curriculars, how much relevant experience you have and stuff. If Liverpool is conducive to your success then that's great - that's all you need. This can be through different metrics, such as having societies that you are genuinely interested in and can try to secure a role in one of them, or say your course has a placement year for experience or has interesting modules where you know you'll want to work hard for and get a good grade at the end of it. Whether the facilities are good enough and there aren't any major problems that cause disruptions to your studies, all of that stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by asos98

Liverpool is a good uni, of course, and if you liked it there and think you would be happy there then go. It's not all Oxbridge or bust. I received 4A*s after a Cambridge rejection but the thought of trying to reapply for Oxbridge never crossed my mind because I was happy with where I was going. But if you think you would spend your time at Liverpool wondering about what might have been, then take a gap year and go for it. This is all assuming your feeling is accurate. :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by asos98

Oxbridge don't go into Adjustment, or Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Lularose83
Maybe wait until you get your actual results before deciding?

wouldn't make a difference would it? i'm guarantted 4 A *
Original post by asos98
wouldn't make a difference would it? i'm guarantted 4 A *

Good for you then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending