The Student Room Group

Tomorrow's Jobs that don't exist yet

Microsoft have released a report concerning 5 jobs that will appear in the next ten years that do not exist today, as well as 5 more that will exist beyond 2025. If you want to read the full description of the following jobs then click right HERE.

The list of jobs predicted to appear in the next 10 years are as followed:

Virtual Habitat Designer - 'by 2025, tens of millions of us will spend hours each day working and learning in virtual reality environments. A VHD will design and create these worlds.'

Ethical Technology Advocate - 'In the next decade, the era of robots will dawn. An ETA will negotiate our delicate our relationship with the robots.'

Digital Cultural Commentator - 'In 10 years time, visual communication will dominate social media. DCCs will communication entire stories through an image alone.'

Freelance Biohacker - 'The rise of open software platforms will democratise this sector, with citizen scientists taking the reins back.'

Internet of Things (IoT) Data Creative - 'IoTDCs will sift through the waves of data being generated each day by devices in our clothes, homes, cars and offices and find meaningful and useful ways to tell us what the information is saying.'

Whilst the five jobs that are predicted to appear beyond 2025 are as followed:

Space Tour Guide - 'Earth's orbit will become the new frontier for adventurous travellers by 2025. They will use their knowledge to construct visits to the more interesting parts of Earth's orbit.'

Rewilding Strategist - 'By 2025 the planet will struggle to cope with nine buillion humans and the resources they require. Rewilding Strategiests will stitch together viable ecosystems in stressed landscapes, using patchworks of flora and fauna from all over the world.'

Personal Content Curator - 'PCCs will help people use software-brain interfaces to use these systems to increase the storage capacity of their overstreched mins, providing services that allow them to dop in and out of treasured memories and experiences.'

Sustainable Power Innovator - 'SPSs will be experts in chemistry and material science and will invent new battery storage capabilities to help cope with the power demands of the ever-growing reliance on the Internet of Things.'

Human Body Designer - 'Engineering advances will extend the average healthy human life as the growth of replacement tissues and organs becomes an everyday and affordable proposition. HPDs will use bio-engineering know-how to create a huge range of customised human limbs.'

What do you think of the list? Are there any on there you think you'd be interested in taking? There are definitely some very cool ones on there! :bigsmile: Human Body Designer sounds very strange!

Edit: 'Jobs' is capitalised because the report is called 'Tomorrow's Jobs' - just a play on words :tongue: Not a typo :colone:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Space Tour Guide definitely. I've already started practicing!
Original post by Kyx
Space Tour Guide definitely. I've already started practicing!

Same here! I'd take it as a full time job tomorrow haha :smile:
Reply 3
You forgot 'In-House Proofreader'.
Reply 4
Original post by Profesh
You forgot 'In-House Proofreader'.

I definitely need one of those :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by Mathemagicien
What is the point of having robots if you are just going to give them the same rights as humans?

To avoid:

Unless we make some major advances i don't expect any of these except virtual habitat development which is already a job, designing for VR games.
Reply 7
Original post by Personinsertname
Unless we make some major advances i don't expect any of these except virtual habitat development which is already a job, designing for VR games.

I can see the Ethical Technology Advocate becoming a job, they've made some crazy advances in robot technology in the past 10 years. The 10 year+ jobs seem like something from Science fiction, but I would guess people would say the same things about the Internet from the 50s or 60s.
I want to be an Ethical Technology Advocate! I used to love robot 'pets' and tamagotchi says a kid. I'd probably need a STEM degree for that though :frown:
Reply 9
Human body designer sounds like my dream career!
Reading to baby Deer
Reply 11
I wonder when evil scientist will be an actual job :frown:
Reply 12
(edited 7 years ago)
You seem to have forgotten the most important job of all.... Time Traveller! Surely you mere mortals will come up with the technology that I have been using for hundreds of years at some point!!!
Could someone explain to me what a freelance biohacker is in more detail? The description didn't make much sense to me.
Reply 15
Original post by s4b3rt00th
Could someone explain to me what a freelance biohacker is in more detail? The description didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah apologies, I was trying to keep it as small as I could because I couldn't make much sense of it :lol: But this is a slightly more informative, but readable version of it:

"Science has been a closed shop dominated by professional teams working in university and corporate research and development departments for many decades but the rise of open source software platforms will democratise this sector, with citizen scientists taking the reins back.

Open-source gene editing tool CRISPR is already allowing thousands of scientists around the world to collaborate on searching for treatments for Depression, Schizophrenia, Autism and Alzheimer’s. Stars of this world will emerge and careers will be born."

What I'm getting from it is that you can basically do what scientists do at university, but whilst you're at home - due to the power of the internet. Like even now you can search for stars etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending