The Student Room Group

School lost GCSE certificates and refuse to provide replacements

I never received my GCSE certificates, the school provided a royal mail tracking number but when I checked with Royal mail they claimed that this number was fake and did not exist and the item was never posted. I have told this to my school and even had a meeting with the governors but they stick with their claim that the item has been posted and they don't understand why it's not in Royal mail's records. They have also kept stretching it out and trying to delay responding at all costs forcing me to have to repeatedly call and email them in order to get hold of them. They said as a goodwill gesture they would offer to reimburse 50% of the cost of the certificates.

I'm not satisfied with the outcome as we had also paid for signed for delivery and their argument seems bogus to me. Do you guys think its a good idea to make a complaint to the department of education or take them to small claims court? Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Which exam season was this? I don't think there's time to have done all this for this year's certificates. A fair number of centres won't even have sorted theirs out to distribute yet.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Dakkabra
I never received my GCSE certificates, the school provided a royal mail tracking number but when I checked with Royal mail they claimed that this number was fake and did not exist and the item was never posted. I have told this to my school and even had a meeting with the governors but they stick with their claim that the item has been posted and they don't understand why it's not in Royal mail's records. They have also kept stretching it out and trying to delay responding at all costs forcing me to have to repeatedly call and email them in order to get hold of them. They said as a goodwill gesture they would offer to reimburse 50% of the cost of the certificates.

I'm not satisfied with the outcome as we had also paid for signed for delivery and their argument seems bogus to me. Do you guys think its a good idea to make a complaint to the department of education or take them to small claims court? Thanks!

There really isn't any need to be quite so vindictive and troublemaking. It was a mistake - mistakes happen in life. More to the point, the school isn't 'refusing to provide a replacement' - you cannot get 'replacement certificates'. They don't exist.

You can easily get a certified statement of results from each exam board, which is equivalent to a certificate. Alternatively, sign up for your Personal Learning Record, which will have a record of all recent public examinations you've taken.

Where does someone so young get such a litigious and and vexatious mindset from? :iiam:
Reply 3
Original post by Dakkabra

My daughter is in a similar position. Her certificates were allegedly posted during COVID pandemic. None were received. The school said they cannot apply for replacements. The certificates were sent with no tracking so we cannot trace at the post office. It is very expensive to replace all of them. Now it has jeopardised her chances of getting her dream job as they want the originals. The school are so unhelpful. Any ideas how I can escalate this?

Quick Reply

Latest