The Student Room Group

Is this legal?

I came out of a nightclub around 4AM, I was very drunk(about 20 units drank).

I then shouted 'Allah hu Akbar' a few times on the street. And then a Muslim guy came up to me and got really angry. My friend told me that apparantly he was saying 'Don't say that! Don't diss my religion.'

And then he got his fist out and made a punch onto me but stopped as soon as it went to me, kind of like a fake punch.

Is this legal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

I then shouted 'Allah hu Akbar' a few times on the street. And then a Muslim guy came up to me and got really angry. My friend told me that apparantly he was saying 'Don't say that! Don't diss my religion.'

And then he got his fist out and made a punch onto me but stopped as soon as it went to me, kind of like a fake punch.

Is this legal?

What you did? Or what he did?

Is this legal?

what he did was legal as he never actually left a mark so it wouldn't hold up in a legal case
but you have technically committed a hate crime so you are in the wrong
Reply 3
I would certainly lock you up
Reply 4
Original post by jamesthehustler
what he did was legal as he never actually left a mark so it wouldn't hold up in a legal case
but you have technically committed a hate crime so you are in the wrong

A hate crime? Definition 'a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence.'

How is that a hate crime? Same way shouting Jesus Christ, or Buddha also isn't a hate crime. I didn't target anyone. He came to me to try to lay a fist.

And I am aware that he didn't lay a mark so it is not assault, but there is such thing called threatening behaviour. Would police accept it if you came up to them and got your fist out, but didn't lay a finger?
Reply 5
allahu akbar just means god is great lol its completely legal however people are getting arrested/fined for all sorts of comments these days
Reply 6
Original post by dnr_23
allahu akbar just means god is great lol its completely legal however people are getting arrested/fined for all sorts of comments these days

But being arrested for what? What is the reason the police give for the arrest?

Is this legal?

To be honest both of you did something wrong and I think it'd be wise to leave it, because both of you could end up getting into trouble
Reply 8
Original post by StuddedBong08
To be honest both of you did something wrong and I think it'd be wise to leave it, because both of you could end up getting into trouble

What did I do wrong? State the details please.
I reckon shouting out "a few times" in the street at 4.00am might be viewed as anti social behaviour and a disruption to good order and keeping the peace, you admit you were very drunk, this may also be considered by some as being a breach of good order/citizenship.Perhaps a caution would be sufficient in this instance.
Why did you choose to shout the phrase you have written, is there any underlying reason for this, in the present World/European political/social climate/context you might think it was less than wise to shout out Arabic phrases outside nightclubs.
He could be arrested for threatening behaviour, although he would not be.You could be arrested for antisocial behaviour, offensive speech, etcetera.

You were in the wrong much more than he was, as you said a term which carries very negative connotations. Like if you were to shout out "******" or "Uncle tom" in the streets. The police would not see you favourably.
He could be arrested for threatening behaviour, although he would not be.You could be arrested for antisocial behaviour, offensive speech, etcetera.

You were in the wrong much more than he was, as you said a term which carries very negative connotations. Like if you were to shout out the N word in the streets. The police would not see you favourably.

You were in the wrong much more than he was, as you said a term which carries very negative connotations. Like if you were to shout out the N word in the streets. The police would not see you favourably.

And why is that word unacceptable? Is Jesus Christ and Buddha also not unacceptable?
Original post by Robot User 14
I reckon shouting out "a few times" in the street at 4.00am might be viewed as anti social behaviour and a disruption to good order and keeping the peace, you admit you were very drunk, this may also be considered by some as being a breach of good order/citizenship.Perhaps a caution would be sufficient in this instance.
Why did you choose to shout the phrase you have written, is there any underlying reason for this, in the present World/European political/social climate/context you might think it was less than wise to shout out Arabic phrases outside nightclubs.

Well I didn't actually shout that loud, and it was not in a residental zone. And I was not evidently drunk. I was intoxicated, but I was not falling off my head.
Kinda funny that's all you could remember when you were drunk :biggrin:

Is it true that people's true selves come out after they've a pint?
A hate crime? Definition 'a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence.'

How is that a hate crime? Same way shouting Jesus Christ, or Buddha also isn't a hate crime. I didn't target anyone. He came to me to try to lay a fist.

And I am aware that he didn't lay a mark so it is not assault, but there is such thing called threatening behaviour. Would police accept it if you came up to them and got your fist out, but didn't lay a finger?

police have body cams and witnesses, not 1 drunken buddy your case would fail in court
however, the hate crime is easier to prove the likeliness is that club staff heard so they would be most likely sober so so given more account in a court of law with their evidence

Is this legal?

Yes, unfortunately you being an idiot is perfectly legal.
Reply 17
Cool story.
Is this even an actual question, or are you just trying to prove a point somewhere?
What did I do wrong? State the details please.

You know fine well what you were doing when you were shouting that. Stop crying like a little ***** playing the victim card when you instigated it. He didn't even hit you anyway.

You know fine well that you were shouting that in a mocking/derogatory way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending