The Student Room Group

10th Aug: Is it wrong to gossip?

Scroll to see replies

Good point.
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I think gossip is unreliable, and unnecessary. It's mostly quite hurtful and vile. Although, I agree it can be a good way to find out who your friends are because true friends wouldn't spread such words of hurt about you. Gossip I think, should be banned because it can break up friends, family's and relationships in general. :smile:

Haha gossip should be banned? Pray tell, how would one enforce such a ban? We live in a country with free speech thankfully.
Original post by TheJ0ker
Haha gossip should be banned? Pray tell, how would one enforce such a ban? We live in a country with free speech thankfully.

In offices and schools, by ban I mean keep it to a minimum because ban or not there is always going to be those few who can't help but spread vile rumours about other people.
It's only natural to have a gossip as it makes the day go quicker. If I was gossiping about something serious like someone's disability in a way that shows no consideration then I would say that it's wrong.
Original post by Anfanny
It's only natural to have a gossip as it makes the day go quicker. If I was gossiping about something serious like someone's disability in a way that shows no consideration then I would say that it's wrong.

I have two different views in terms of being gossip:

the one where people are just talking about silly things and the one where people are talking about another ones and their weaknesses and quirks. First view of gossiping is all right, the last one disgusting.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's a trap we can all fall into honestly - given the right circumstances, the purest of people will go ham on another person.
As a rule of thumb, just remember - whatever you say behind someone's back, you should also be able to say it to their face, if the situation calls for it.
Everyone gossips , even the people that say they don't .
I defiantly gossip because I'm boring and other people are more intresting than me but it's not like I dislike the people I gossip about though! Most people are nice and it's not bad gossip
Original post by Kallisto
I have two different views in terms of being gossip:

the one where people are just talking about silly things and the one where people are talking about another ones and their weaknesses and quirks. First view of gossiping is all right, the last one disgusting.

That would be the exact interpretation of what I was was saying as a lot of people have weaknesses which they are born with and its not any fault of their own. Only if someone did something or said something which is just not sensible or nasty then I would feel free to gossip about that if I ever felt the desire to. Or to defend myself... Haha
I never gave a second thought when I was carelessly gossiping with my friends until recently I heard a rumour going round about me that was so far from the truth- it's really made me reconsider the impact of gossip- I no longer want to do it as imagining the fear someone else feels thinking that lies about them are being spread around like I felt is horrible- it's also opened my eyes to the fact that gossip is so often not true.
I don't really gossip much, but there was the one occassion that I did, and I feel guilt over it nearly everyday :emo:
Reply 30
Nope life would be insanely dull if we didnt.
Reply 31
People should learn to mind their own ****ing business and not be deluded by these fake reality TV shows that are full of gossip and ****.
It's frustrating to acknowledge, but everyone gossips. If you choose to abstain then I seriously admire you, but it can be quite socially isolating when you don't get involved with gossiping or b-tching, even passively.

Gossip can be seen in a number of different ways honestly. There's spreading information that you've heard, which isn't wrong per se because word of mouth was our most primitive method of communication spanning back to the Greeks, but it can be damaging or upsetting, especially if the information itself is defamatory. Being consciously mean about another person falls less in the category of gossip and more into b-tching, which is a lot more detrimental to a person's character, and the important distinction to make is that gossip isn't always intentionally hurtful and can just be sharing of trivial secrets - "I've heard Jessica just got a promotion but she still buys off brand tampons, what's that about?" or "Mary slept with Sasha's boyfriend but she doesn't know yet!" - whereas b-tching often digs a lot deeper and confronts much more personal and hurtful issues - "Have you seen how much weight Jessica has gained? She shouldn't be allowed to wear short skirts anymore" or "Mary is so ugly how can she get a guy as hot as Sasha's boyfriend?". Gossip can span from the trivial to the more serious and is usually ephemeral, in that those spreading the gossip usually have a short-lived opinion on a particular issue, whereas b-tching tends to then lead to social exclusion or more outward forms of bullying or intimidation.

In short, both gossiping and b-tching are bad and shouldn't be encouraged, but gossip is the more forgivable of the two. Heck, gossip is picked up by mass media constantly; it's the infringement of privacy which the paparazzi thrive off - there's even a magazine called 'Gossip'! It's so integral to many people's lives, which is utterly twisted but not as insidious as b-tching can be, as it would cause minor annoyance to the subject but the next issue of the magazine their bikini photo is off the front page and another poor sod has been snapped in an unfortunate position. Gossip is bad for the people involved, but you have the opportunity to take it in your stride - see the example of Hiddleston (I think?) wearing the same coat every day so the paps wouldn't look like they were using new material! Hilarious! - whereas b-tching often leads to much more serious and upsetting things, like that poor star in the all-female Ghostbusters who was bullied off twitter as people compared her to an ape. Horrid people, horrid situation. Actively disencourage b-tching and bullying, but tolerate gossip to a certain extent. Everyone does it, and they always will. How you react, however, shows the most about you!
Original post by Anfanny
That would be the exact interpretation of what I was was saying as a lot of people have weaknesses which they are born with and its not any fault of their own. Only if someone did something or said something which is just not sensible or nasty then I would feel free to gossip about that if I ever felt the desire to. Or to defend myself... Haha

So you would rather talk about those things with someone secretly than directly to the nasty/insensible people instead?*
Gossip????
In my opinion its useless.Like who really cares if,for example,"Anna is going out with Sam?"No one really cares and the type of ppl that gossip are those who see others worries as entertainment for them.I mean it doesn't affect them in anyway unless they had a crush on "Sam".There are different types of gossips.Like the bad ones,the ones about relationships,the good ones(that we barely hear nowadays).
And the worst thing is its behind some ones back.That makes gossip even disgusting.Who ever created gossiping should be disgusted....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kallisto
So you would rather talk about those things with someone secretly than directly to the nasty/insensible people instead?*

Depends on the situation.
If said thing was done in front of me I might say something to them.
If it was extremely bad or I felt in danger then I would have to say that I would not mention anything.
Sometimes to prevent awkwardness I may not say anything if it's bad/wrong/disgusting but there's always a lot to consider what can actually be got from calling someone out. It may even make things worse.
I think society will never be able to ban gossip its part of human nature I guess.
Not all gossip is bad though I mean sometimes it is a positive thing.
Original post by Anfanny
Depends on the situation.
If said thing was done in front of me I might say something to them.
If it was extremely bad or I felt in danger then I would have to say that I would not mention anything.
Sometimes to prevent awkwardness I may not say anything if it's bad/wrong/disgusting but there's always a lot to consider what can actually be got from calling someone out. It may even make things worse.

Maybe it were better for myself being not so directly in the past. Sometimes *it is better to weigh situations up instead of being so honestly to people.*
Reply 38
As long as it's not malicious. If you and your mate are talking about something interesting/entertaining involving other people, I think that's find, but spreading rumours and secrets is awful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending