The Student Room Group

Can I get A* in A-levels with these AS grades?

I got
Bio- A (85)
Chem- A (86)
Maths- A (89)
Phy - A (90)

Can I?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fandom-queen
I got
Bio- A (85)
Chem- A (86)
Maths- A (89)
Phy - A (90)

Can I?

Yep go for it, try hard and you will hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can i get A* with these grades, proceeds to list a set of top grades at AS. FFS how idiotic must you be to even begin to think you cant get top grade at A2 with top grade at AS?
Original post by HFancy1997
Yep go for it, try hard and you will hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult will it be? I think I was a disaster in my MCQ, which is why my grades aren't THAT great, but, on average, what's the minimum AS percentage for A* at A-levels?
On a scale of 1-10, how difficult will it be? I think I was a disaster in my MCQ, which is why my grades aren't THAT great, but, on average, what's the minimum AS percentage for A* at A-levels?

You got the top grade. STFU. If this is anything to go by, you shouldnt have much difficulty at all getting A* so a 5 on 1-10 scale.
Minimum is probably about 60% at AS, since you hear stories of people getting D's then and getting A's overall, so get a C at AS and you are in the realms of possibility.
Original post by an_atheist
You got the top grade. STFU. If this is anything to go by, you shouldnt have much difficulty at all getting A* so a 5 on 1-10 scale.
Minimum is probably about 60% at AS, since you hear stories of people getting D's then and getting A's overall, so get a C at AS and you are in the realms of possibility.

OMG, thank you so much! Lol, sorry, I thought it wasn't great, but, I'm pretty happy with it actually. I really wanted high 90s, but, it just motivates me to do really well for A2.

Depends on how much you practice and understand the work, I would give you a number but there are many other factors. Make sure you understand the work properly but im sure you will judging by your AS grades:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OMG, thank you so much! Lol, sorry, I thought it wasn't great, but, I'm pretty happy with it actually. I really wanted high 90s, but, it just motivates me to do really well for A2.

Third time ive said this on this thread, you got the top grade possible at AS. What isnt there to be proud of? We would all like a couple extra UMS, it makes our lives next year much easier, but in all honesty, the top grade is still the top grade.

Hey you did really well and you think you didn't do great? Are you kidding me? If I could get those grades I would be the happiest person in the world :wink: What more could you have wanted?! Any ways good luck for A2 :-)
Reply 9
You can get C's at AS and still get A* in A levels.
I got
Bio- A (85)
Chem- A (86)
Maths- A (89)
Phy - A (90)

Can I?

I assume these are CIE results as uk results are not out until next week.
The criteria for CIE A* are different to uk A levels and it's hard to achieve if you don't get 90% at AS.
I would say you have a good chance in maths and physics but Bio and Chem will be more challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got
Bio- A (85)
Chem- A (86)
Maths- A (89)
Phy - A (90)

Can I?

Tbh it all depends on how much work you put into each subject. Good AS grades will definitely help with your overall grade, but at the same time A2 is much harder than AS and can easily pull down your grades if you don't maintain your hard work. For example i got 93 in AS maths but for A2 i only got a pathetic 83 :/ best of luck and i hope this helped!
Original post by gdunne42
I assume these are CIE results as uk results are not out until next week.
The criteria for CIE A* are different to uk A levels and it's hard to achieve if you don't get 90% at AS.
I would say you have a good chance in maths and physics but Bio and Chem will be more challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did. So, if I were to aim for A* in Bio and Chem, do you have any idea what kind of % I'd need for A-levels?
I got
Bio- A (85)
Chem- A (86)
Maths- A (89)
Phy - A (90)

Can I?

Any idea how you got to know the UMS %? Did your school tell you or something? Where do I check mine?
Tbh it all depends on the work you put into each subject. Good AS grades definitely help with your overall grade, but A2 is much harder than AS and can in return pull down your grades. For example i got 93 for maths in AS but my A2 marks was pathetic 83 :/
Yes, I did. So, if I were to aim for A* in Bio and Chem, do you have any idea what kind of % I'd need for A-levels?

I'm not an expert on CIE grade thresholds etc but my understanding is you need 90% over the full A level so if you get 85 at AS it would be 95 needed at A2. Check this out with your teachers/CIE experts. Most people on TSR are uk students where the criteria is very different and is much more dependent on the A2 result with only 80% needed overall including 90% at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got
Bio- A (85)
Chem- A (86)
Maths- A (89)
Phy - A (90)

Can I?

Yes. Just average 90% UMS in your year 13 modules
I'm not an expert on CIE grade thresholds etc but my understanding is you need 90% over the full A level so if you get 85 at AS it would be 95 needed at A2. Check this out with your teachers/CIE experts. Most people on TSR are uk students where the criteria is very different and is much more dependent on the A2 result with only 80% needed overall including 90% at A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

FML..........
but, I think there's a new CIE rule, that now, they consider 40% AS and 60% A-level, as opposed to last years 50-50. Gosh, I hope that's true.
FML..........
but, I think there's a new CIE rule, that now, they consider 40% AS and 60% A-level, as opposed to last years 50-50. Gosh, I hope that's true.

I have not heard that so I can't comment.
I have not heard that so I can't comment.

yeah, wait, lemme see if I can find a link

Quick Reply

Latest