The Student Room Group

Alevel results- What if you get a bad grade does it mean you cant carry on to A2?

Hey there, this question has been bothering me for quite a while so id like someone to please clear up some stuff for me. Ive heard that AS exams this year do NOT count -which is why you can either sit it or not- and the exams that we sit is simply just going to be used as a prediction for your university ive also heard that if we got low grades in the real exam then the teachers can use you're past grades from mock exams to predict you better.
So say I got an U in some subject, despite it not counting for your final grade, does it still mean that I cant do A2?But since it's a two years course, does that mean i'll have to start all over again? Or can you carry on and just strive to get better for the overall exam in A2? Can you do a one year course even if you fail? Im honestly not getting it.

Oh and are the results you get automatically sent to the universities or do you just show it to them when you go there?
Please explain this to me, thank you in advance :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Melo-san
Hey there, this question has been bothering me for quite a while so id like someone to please clear up some stuff for me. Ive heard that AS exams this year do NOT count -which is why you can either sit it or not- and the exams that we sit is simply just going to be used as a prediction for your university ive also heard that if we go low grades in the real exam then the teachers can use you're past grades from mock exams to predict you better.
So say I got an U in some subject, despite it not counting for your final grade, does it still mean that I cant do A2?But since it's a two years course, does that mean i'll have to start all over again? Or can you carry on and just strive to get better for the overall exam in A2? Im honestly not getting it.

Oh and are the results you get automatically sent to the universities or do you show it to them when you go?
Please explain this to me, thank you in advance :smile:

ive been meaning to ask this question to, and im really worried because i feel as though i have failed so im praying that i can still carry on to A2 because the As does not count anyway
Reply 2
Let's take biology as an example:
Let's say, in the beginning of the year you aimed for a B at A-levels on whole.
After AS you got 150/300 UMS. Which is a D.
So to secure a B you need 420 out of 600 UMS, which means you have to get 270/300 for A2.
Let's just say, I found AS to be much more manageable to get a higher grade in, that from A2. So with a D at AS, hoping for 270 at A2 is impossible.
Since AS is easier to score in, it's advisable that you repeat and get the highest grade and highest mark possible, based on what you are aiming at. Because recovering at A2 is a LOT harder and not advised.
It depends on your college/sixth form policy - at my college, even with the reformed A-Levels, they still require you to get at least a D in your AS subjects to be able to carry it on for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by tarazzz
ive been meaning to ask this question to, and im really worried because i feel as though i have failed so im praying that i can still carry on to A2 because the As does not count anyway

Same Hopeful. Best of luck to both of us :smile:
Reply 5
Same Hopeful. Best of luck to both of us :smile:

Yes fingers crossed and Thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nomophobia
It depends on your college/sixth form policy - at my college, even with the reformed A-Levels, they still require you to get at least a D in your AS subjects to be able to carry it on for A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it doesnt have anything to do with the universities? I go to a private school so i dont think they care much as long as I pay. Who require you to get atleast a D grade? The sixthform or the university?
Reply 7
Original post by AvWOW
Let's take biology as an example:
Let's say, in the beginning of the year you aimed for a B at A-levels on whole.
After AS you got 150/300 UMS. Which is a D.
So to secure a B you need 420 out of 600 UMS, which means you have to get 270/300 for A2.
Let's just say, I found AS to be much more manageable to get a higher grade in, that from A2. So with a D at AS, hoping for 270 at A2 is impossible.
Since AS is easier to score in, it's advisable that you repeat and get the highest grade and highest mark possible, based on what you are aiming at. Because recovering at A2 is a LOT harder and not advised.

Repeat what? The year or the exam? Cause i dont want to repeat the whole year :'(
So it doesnt have anything to do with the universities? I go to a private school so i dont think they care much as long as I pay. Who require you to get atleast a D grade? The sixthform or the university?

No, universities mainly just want to know your predicted grades but if they see you're predicted A*s when you get U's in your exams, they might be dubious. The sixth form required the D grade and the main reason is because if we can't get at least a D in our AS exam, they don't think we'll be capable enough to get a decent grade in A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Repeat what? The year or the exam? Cause i dont want to repeat the whole year :'(

The exam! :P Like, the papers. You can do some units you didn't do so well in and think you can get a better grade in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Our school is allowing students to continue but it may differ for other colleges and sixth forms. You'd need to speak to your head of year about it. It's still possible to continue but only if your school allows you too. With old a levels, this wasn't the case. Girls who have all unreformed subjects i.e Maths, Further maths, religious studies, film studies would be expected at least an E grade to continue unto A2 as AS would count in this situation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Cherry82
Our school is allowing students to continue but it may differ for other colleges and sixth forms. You'd need to speak to your head of year about it. It's still possible to continue but only if your school allows you too. With old a levels, this wasn't the case. Girls who have all unreformed subjects i.e Maths, Further maths, religious studies, film studies would be expected at least an E grade to continue until A2 as AS would count in this situation.

Oh I see! I'll ask my head about about it. But since I go to a private school the chances of them refusing is close to nil. :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by AvWOW
The exam! :P Like, the papers. You can do some units you didn't do so well in and think you can get a better grade in.

Lol I see. Can you still do that if you get lower than an E?
Reply 13
Lol I see. Can you still do that if you get lower than an E?

Yes you can!
In AS i got a U in Sociology but my sixth form still allowed me to carry on with the subject. Instead of re sitting the whole year i just resat my AS Sociology exam (the one which was worth the most marks) and then sat A2 alonsgside it. But it does entirely depend on your sixth form x
Reply 15
Original post by Francesca2298
In AS i got a U in Sociology but my sixth form still allowed me to carry on with the subject. Instead of re sitting the whole year i just resat my AS Sociology exam (the one which was worth the most marks) and then sat A2 alonsgside it. But it does entirely depend on your sixth form x

Yeah, i'll ask them about it tomorrow hopefully they'll say yes.
But does that only apply for one subject? What if I get a U in two subjects? Is it only one subject you're allowed to repeat?
Reply 16

But does that only apply for one subject? What if I get a U in two subjects? Is it only one subject you're allowed to repeat?
Reply 17

Reply 18

Quick Reply

Latest