The Student Room Group

should i retake my as exams

i’ve really slacked off during my as, and i didn’t get the grades i predicted to get. But i have been really putting in effort for my a2 and i’m quite confident i’ll do quite good. I’m really interested to get into top universities, and i’m not sure what to do. do universities care for both as and a2 or do they only see my a2 results ???
Reply 1
If you sit full A-levels (A2) your AS results mean nothing
Reply 2
offers will be based on A2 but you have to tell them the AS grades if you receive them. You may have to explain what will be different at A2 if they are not great - will your teachers give decent predictions based on improved performance?
Reply 3
Original post by mj04
If you sit full A-levels (A2) your AS results mean nothing

oh really ? i always thought that it was combined grade of both as and a2 (50/50). anyways, thank you for replaying :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by helpme07
oh really ? i always thought that it was combined grade of both as and a2 (50/50). anyways, thank you for replaying :smile:

AS used to be the first half of a2. Not the case anymore. AS are now stand alone and do not contribute to the a2 mark/grade. Most schools have stopped doing AS as a result
Reply 5
Original post by ReadingMum
AS used to be the first half of a2. Not the case anymore. AS are now stand alone and do not contribute to the a2 mark/grade. Most schools have stopped doing AS as a result

oh! that’s good to know, thank you so much ❤️
Reply 6
i’ve really slacked off during my as, and i didn’t get the grades i predicted to get. But i have been really putting in effort for my a2 and i’m quite confident i’ll do quite good. I’m really interested to get into top universities, and i’m not sure what to do. do universities care for both as and a2 or do they only see my a2 results ???

No need to resit As levels as they won't count towards a university offer. Presumably you're taking a year out if you've not already applied?? If so then you don't need to worry about predicted grades either. Just apply to the best uni's based off your A level grades.
Reply 7
Original post by ReadingMum

if my school still does use AS as a result, is that a problem ? i’ve heard you’ll get the alevel certificate with combined result, is this true ??
Reply 8
if my school still does use AS as a result, is that a problem ? i’ve heard you’ll get the alevel certificate with combined result, is this true ??

The A level exam covers the full 2 year syllabus - it is entirely separate from any AS you might have done. The certificate will cover the A2 you sat and the grade you got. It is not a 'combined result'. You would get the AS certificate after that exam - it is standalone and does not contribute to the A2 grade.
This all assumes you are not doing some weird old version of exams in an international setting.

Quick Reply

Latest