The Student Room Group

History for GCSE..?

Hi everyone

I was just wanting to know if anyone can share any advice/experience on studying history gcse as i'm choosing my options soon and consider picking history. Exam board will be AQA.
Also I Want to choose Triple science, spanish and geography so does anyone think it will be too much to take on as loads of people have said so..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah you'll be fine! If you like it go for it, I really enjoyed it and I did triple science, french, geography and music as well as history and it was all fine.
Nah, those options seem fine, I had to do triple science and it wasn't an option for us!! I also did a language and both geog, history and music with that. I prefer geography to history because I feel you can do a lot more with it (and I'm better at geog than history haha) but history is interesting and fun to learn. Imo it's really impressive if you're good at it too!! So yeah that seems a good option to take with your other ones and as long as you're willing to succeed you should be fine x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amethyst_
Hi everyone

I was just wanting to know if anyone can share any advice/experience on studying history gcse as i'm choosing my options soon and consider picking history. Exam board will be AQA.
Also I Want to choose Triple science, spanish and geography so does anyone think it will be too much to take on as loads of people have said so..

Hey am starting year 10 and I picked History and TS too:smile:
And it it will be fine if u pick those subjects.There will be more work and more to learn however if u are capable of handling this then u should be ok:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Personally, I wish I'd done Geography instead of History but that's mainly because essays just aren't my thing. I've seen that people who are generally good at English Lit etc do very well in History, whereas a lot of people I know that prefer Geography are more into Sciences/Maths.

Obviously isn't a rule but just something I've seen in my year group, siblings etc :h:
Reply 5
H i've just finished my GCSES and did history, psychology, business studies and art as well as seperate science. and workload wise, not at all! Your subjects are fairly light subjects and although it may seem like theres a lot of information to learn in history, if you have an amazing teacher like i did and you are good at quite simply memorising evenst adn dates (quite a bit but definetly manageable) youll deffo cope! just try remeber everything like a story! best of luck
Reply 6
Thanks for everyones replies x
Reply 7
Original post by surina16
Personally, I wish I'd done Geography instead of History but that's mainly because essays just aren't my thing. I've seen that people who are generally good at English Lit etc do very well in History, whereas a lot of people I know that prefer Geography are more into Sciences/Maths.

Obviously isn't a rule but just something I've seen in my year group, siblings etc :h:

Yeah i get what u mean I'm more into maths/science! Thanks for your comment :smile:
I just finished year 11 and did history aqa spec B. I enjoyed it sooo much, loved the content tho. Also because there's no science/ maths and I enjoy English so it goes well with history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

No one is going to be able to give you a reliable experience, since there's loads of different topics that can be studied in GCSE history. It ranges from the Rise of the Nazis all the way to the Wild West.

Why is triple science, geography and Spanish too much? I don't get it. If you're good at science, triple award is 3A*s on a plate.
Reply 10
Original post by bikiniikilll
I just finished year 11 and did history aqa spec B. I enjoyed it sooo much, loved the content tho. Also because there's no science/ maths and I enjoy English so it goes well with history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. Good luck on your gcse results 😄they come out soon right

On a scale of 1-10 how difficult would u rank history?
Hi everyone

i did triple science, geography,art,design technology and rs
i have a friend who did your options and said that history was really hard, unless you are willing to make some sacrifices and be fully committed to the subject i say you should.
History is amazing. Pick it..AQA History is alright.
Original post by sulaimanali
History is amazing. Pick it..AQA History is alright.

the 2016 exam was awful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Yeah pick it. Imo I found medicine through time a little boring but American west was great. I found both exams ok as you mostly just need to evaluate and interpretate sources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
If you're considering not doing one of these I'd actually say drop history as it has the biggest workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

I took german, geography, art, double science, history (as well as english, maths and re) i barely studied and got pretty good grades. i actually got a b in history. it wasn't too must at all. just work hard, you'll be fine! If you want to do history do it :smile:
History is a good option as it enables you to develop your analytical skills. The topics are really interesting, especially if you do Germany and Vietnam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

Honestly DONT do Geography, unless you want a career involving it. Geography is waaaay too much coursework, you'll probably regret it.
Hi everyone

I was just wanting to know if anyone can share any advice/experience on studying history gcse as i'm choosing my options soon and con
sider picking history. Exam board will be AQA.

I also did history GCSE with the exam board AQA. The units which I studies were Medicane through time & American West. I doing both the units really interesting, which made revision fun (if you are doing any of these units, I have really amazing revision notes which I can send you)

The way I revised for my history exam was to do one topic per day so that the information does not get mixed up as there is a lot of content to memorise.

I hated my history lessons in school as they were pretty boring however I loved to sit at home and revise by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest