The Student Room Group

Will I have any chance?

Well, like everyone I got my AS results today. I was quite disappointed I got AABD.
A-Biology
A-Psychology
B-Chemistry
D-Maths...

I want to apply for Biomedical science at Queen Mary or Manchester. They require AAB at A2. My GCSE's are fine(4A*,6A,2B) but im extremely worried that maths will completely ruin my chances. I am definitely dropping maths next year and I emailed a few unis and they said that they care about the subjects you take on. Hopefully Ill be predicted AAA or maybe A*AA/B. Will these results be enough to get into the unis I want and will Kings college or UCL even consider me?
Original post by RayGhoul
Well, like everyone I got my AS results today. I was quite disappointed I got AABD.
A-Biology
A-Psychology
B-Chemistry
D-Maths...

I want to apply for Biomedical science at Queen Mary or Manchester. They require AAB at A2. My GCSE's are fine(4A*,6A,2B) but im extremely worried that maths will completely ruin my chances. I am definitely dropping maths next year and I emailed a few unis and they said that they care about the subjects you take on. Hopefully Ill be predicted AAA or maybe A*AA/B. Will these results be enough to get into the unis I want and will Kings college or UCL even consider me?

Teachers are generally happy to predict one grade higher than your AS results, so they will predict you A*A*A if you go and speak to them. Maths might be a problem, so have a look at the uni entry requirements to see if they specify maths in their offers.
Sorry to hear that you're disappointed, but those are really good grades!. Usually teachers have no problem predicting one grade above what you achieved at AS, so you could get up to A*A*A predictions.

The maths AS shouldn't matter if you meet the requirements for the courses you apply to. Double check on UCAS that they don't require maths, but it looks as if you'll be fine. If it's of any help, I got an E in my fourth AS (also maths :wink: ), and applied for a course that needed AAA. It didn't get held against me at all :smile:

Well done again on your results and best of luck with your application!
Reply 3
Thank you very much for the kind words. The unis that I looked at require bio and atleast one other science which I believe chemistry covers for. However in the list of sciences there is maths. Although I meet the requirements with Bio and Chem alone, I'm worried that although I wont be taking maths I will be at a disadvantage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Those are stellar grades, your dropping maths so it'll be fine lol

Quick Reply

Latest