The Student Room Group

Need advice

I got A's in Physics chemistry and maths and a B in further maths. The A in physics was with very minimal effort as i really didnt enjoy it and the B in further maths was with loads of work as i really enjoy maths. Do you think its better to just suck it up and do physics for another year at A2 as its obviously much easier or to do further maths even though i know i have no chance of an A* for A2. I'm wanting to do a chemistry degree btw
Reply 1
Original post by tombellsdfg
I got A's in Physics chemistry and maths and a B in further maths. The A in physics was with very minimal effort as i really didnt enjoy it and the B in further maths was with loads of work as i really enjoy maths. Do you think its better to just suck it up and do physics for another year at A2 as its obviously much easier or to do further maths even though i know i have no chance of an A* for A2. I'm wanting to do a chemistry degree btw

Firstly, well done on some awesome results!

Uni's, especially when applying to take a science, like you to take another science/maths subject as well, and so I would recommend keeping physics on as you appear better at it an would give you a higher chance of achieving A's or higher, however if it's not what you enjoy don't do it. If it has no relevance to your future degree then is it necessary to keep it on because if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't have to torture yourself keeping it on. However, uni's don't really like you taking similar subject so, so in this case taking maths and further maths wouldn't necessarily make you stand out from the crowd as much whereas physics would. An as further maths at grade b is very acceptable and you should be proud of yourself, however you would have much better chances getting into uni with a better variation of subjects instead of just chemistry and maths.

Chemistry degrees can be hard to get into and so an AAA would better your chances, especially at a respectable university as opposed to AAB which may make the university overlook you.

However it is completely your decision whether you follow maths because you are passionate and are working hard at it which is good

Just remember that if you spent a lot of time revising for further maths and you drop it then you would have more time to focus on your 3 remaining subjects meaning you might even get A* if you work hard enough :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by an_r
Firstly, well done on some awesome results!

Uni's, especially when applying to take a science, like you to take another science/maths subject as well, and so I would recommend keeping physics on as you appear better at it an would give you a higher chance of achieving A's or higher, however if it's not what you enjoy don't do it. If it has no relevance to your future degree then is it necessary to keep it on because if you don't enjoy it you shouldn't have to torture yourself keeping it on. However, uni's don't really like you taking similar subject so, so in this case taking maths and further maths wouldn't necessarily make you stand out from the crowd as much whereas physics would. An as further maths at grade b is very acceptable and you should be proud of yourself, however you would have much better chances getting into uni with a better variation of subjects instead of just chemistry and maths.

Chemistry degrees can be hard to get into and so an AAA would better your chances, especially at a respectable university as opposed to AAB which may make the university overlook you.

However it is completely your decision whether you follow maths because you are passionate and are working hard at it which is good

Just remember that if you spent a lot of time revising for further maths and you drop it then you would have more time to focus on your 3 remaining subjects meaning you might even get A* if you work hard enough :smile:

Cheers for taking the time to reply i never thought about the fact that all my revision was focused on further maths and that, as you say, could possibly hinder me in achieving even better results. So yeah i think ill just suck it up and do the 1 more year of physics as it seems to have more pros even though im not the keenest on it . Thank you again :smile:
Reply 3
Cheers for taking the time to reply i never thought about the fact that all my revision was focused on further maths and that, as you say, could possibly hinder me in achieving even better results. So yeah i think ill just suck it up and do the 1 more year of physics as it seems to have more pros even though im not the keenest on it . Thank you again :smile:

No problem, good luck next year! :smile:

Do physics

Quick Reply

Latest