The Student Room Group

Am I likely to struggle?

Hi,

I'm starting my course next month - History, Sociology and Professional Education (Secondary).

I was quite surprised that I got accepted as I haven't studied history since 2004 which was my standard grade (GCSE).

I have no issues with reading and I don't struggle with retaining information - however - I have very little knowledge of history as it stands. I just remember really enjoying it at school. I enjoy watching documentaries. I know my modules for this year and I'm going to get some books that roughly cover what I'll be studying so I won't be completely in the dark.

Really my question is - will I struggle with such a jump in qualification level and little knowledge to keep up?
Reply 1
Original post by Emizi
Hi,

I'm starting my course next month - History, Sociology and Professional Education (Secondary).

I was quite surprised that I got accepted as I haven't studied history since 2004 which was my standard grade (GCSE).

I have no issues with reading and I don't struggle with retaining information - however - I have very little knowledge of history as it stands. I just remember really enjoying it at school. I enjoy watching documentaries. I know my modules for this year and I'm going to get some books that roughly cover what I'll be studying so I won't be completely in the dark.

Really my question is - will I struggle with such a jump in qualification level and little knowledge to keep up?

Nope its just a lot more content to learn
Reply 2
Hi if u dont mind me asking did u do yr gcses or r u gonna do it.
I took history for my gcse and I didn't like it at first but I like it now. The only thing is that I dont know how to revise for it and I need soo much help. Do u have any revision tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi if u dont mind me asking did u do yr gcses or r u gonna do it.
I took history for my gcse and I didn't like it at first but I like it now. The only thing is that I dont know how to revise for it and I need soo much help. Do u have any revision tips?
Reply 4
U asking me or the op?
Reply 5
I don't mind if u answer.i really need help so I don't mind who ever answers. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emizi
Hi,

No need to have issues. You could do some pre- reading ro even just watch documentaries, there are zillions.

You first need to understand the events, how they evolved and how people reacted.

You then need to be able to answer essays. Its completely doable, just your essays need to be a bit more in depth.
Reply 7
I did GCSE and got a A* and I also just got a B at As. For GCSE I revised by just going through the text book and writing key points on cards then revising from them. This worked really well at GCSE but at As level there was so much content that I quickly ran out of cards lol.So I bought lots of A2 maybe and did massive mind maps for each topic. As long as you learn the info in detail and master essay technique you will be fine with both GCSE and AS History

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for these revision tips. Really helped. Btw do u have any a* essays that u wrote in prep for ur gcse history exam. For cold war.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It will help me very much.
I have some for vietnam war,origins of ww1,l league of nations,hitlers Germany and the Nazis but I didn't study cold war

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Thanks everyone, I've ordered a couple of books :smile:
Ok Thanks
If you are able to, can u send them to me. It will help soo much.thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you still want them? If so I can send a photo of them to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes please
Will help me soo much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gnatt27