The Student Room Group

Who would get unconditional offer?

Most people presumably have GCSEs, and no A Level results back in full for when they apply to university so if the A Levels results are not back in full, in what situation could somebody typically get an unconditional offer from university? Can you get an unconditional offer without ever having a conditional offer first? What situation would this be if so?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by moon4
Most people presumably have GCSEs, and no A Level results back in full for when they apply to university so if the A Levels results are not back in full, in what situation could somebody typically get an unconditional offer from university? Can you get an unconditional offer without ever having a conditional offer first? What situation would this be if so?

Unconditionals are given pre-A2 to those with excellent academic records as an inducement to firm a particular university.
Original post by moon4

You would probably need outstanding AS levels, I've had 2 unconditionals but that was when I applied after doing my a-levels, one from UCLan the second from Dundee
Reply 3
Original post by moon4

Some unis have an "unconditional offer scheme" thing where if you're predicted x grades then you'll get an unconditional offer

Other than that, your chances of getting an unconditional offer with any grades is pretty slim, you would have a chance if you're predicted way way above the entry requirements (eg applying to unis wanting BCC or similar when you got straight As at AS) and/or you have good relevant work experience, but it'd be done on a case by case basis and it's pretty rare
Reply 4
Original post by moon4

Yes, some universities give unconditional offers in that situation (eg Birmingham), but it's a marketing ploy to benefit the university not the student.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11297453/Top-universities-ignoring-final-A-level-grades-in-race-to-sign-up-students.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I got unconditional offers from all of the unis I applied to but that was only because I already had my A Level results beforehand. xD I know of some people who got "unconditional upgrades" whereby you would get an unconditional offer if you put that uni as your firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sitting A -levels early is another easy way into unconditionals. Plenty of people (5+) I know who sat all the A-level modules in year 11, so already had Maths, FM, AFM, before starting AS.
Original post by moon4

People applying to crap universities will get unconditionals. Ask your teachers to predict you high grades and then apply to Salford (or something like it), this way you are almost guaranteed to get an unconditional.
Reply 8
Original post by Donkey******
Sitting A -levels early is another easy way into unconditionals. Plenty of people (5+) I know who sat all the A-level modules in year 11, so already had Maths, FM, AFM, before starting AS.

Easy?

Very very few people do AFM in Y13, never mind doing it in Y11.
Original post by moon4

some places give or have given unconditional if you put them as firm (I can't remember which ones) I got an unconditional but I already had my final results that can happen pretty much always but most of the time you'll have a conditional and once you grades the grades you'll get unconditional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending