The Student Room Group

Opinions on these Unis?

Hi All! I'm just about to turn 20 (September 5th) and am about to college to study a Health and Social Care Access Course. I want to go to Uni next year and do a H&SC Degree to become a Social Worker. I've got my eye on these ones and would really appreciate any info you have on them :biggrin: Thank you in advance!

Cardiff Metropolitan
Nottingham
Chester
Lincoln
Winchester
Bolton

REALLY Love the look of Cardiff Met!

What is the course like at the university? Health and Social Care Undergraduate degree.

Whats the nightlife like at each of them? Which have the best Nightlife? Heard that Winchester is quieter than a lot of other Uni's? I Want BIG Nightlife! Lots of Clubs etc.. :biggrin:

What's the Accommodation like?

Whats travel like to get there? I'm from Cornwall so I Imagine I'd have to go to Paddington then to Cardiff? How can I get from Cardiff Train Station to the Uni etc? Things like that?

Are they all Self Catered (I Want Self Catered)?

I'll have just turned 21 when I start Uni.. Will this matter? I Want to go out and get pissed etc like 18/19 year old uni students do... Will there be people my own there or similar ages that I can meet etc?

Anything else you'd lie to disclose Id me more than grateful!
Thank you!!
Original post by 96Popcorn
Hi All! I'm just about to turn 20 (September 5th) and am about to college to study a Health and Social Care Access Course. I want to go to Uni next year and do a H&SC Degree to become a Social Worker. I've got my eye on these ones and would really appreciate any info you have on them :biggrin: Thank you in advance!

Cardiff Metropolitan
Nottingham
Chester
Lincoln
Winchester
Bolton

What is the course like at the university? Health and Social Care Undergraduate degree.

Whats the nightlife like at each of them? Which have the best Nightlife? Heard that Winchester is quieter than a lot of other Uni's? I Want BIG Nightlife! Lots of Clubs etc.. :biggrin:

Whats travel like to get there? I'm from Cornwall so I Imagine I'd have to go to Paddington then to Cardiff? How can I get from Cardiff Train Station to the Uni etc? Things like that?

I'll have just turned 21 when I start Uni.. Will this matter? I Want to go out and get pissed etc like 18/19 year old uni students do... Will there be people my own there or similar ages that I can meet etc?

Thank you!!

Considering Bolton and Nottingham? That's nearly as heavy as considering either London Met or Cambridge
Reply 2

Cardiff Metropolitan
Nottingham
Chester
Lincoln
Winchester
Bolton

Thank you!!

Look at uni accommodation on the websites, there'll be loads of info on there (catered/self catered, fees, room types eg ensuite, location and distance to uni) and probably virtual tours or pictures as well. Unis generally have both self catered and catered accommodation and you can choose which you go into.

Big nightlife = big city in general, so city unis.

I'm 18 and starting uni and I wouldn't mind befriending a 21yo, it's not that big an age difference tbh. There will also probably be other mature students who won't be hard to find (some unis will make sure mature students are housed together in accommodation).

Look up the entry requirements of each course and make sure you think you can meet them!
Also, open days. Or, if you can't make an open day you can just turn up and look around, although you likely won't have access to buildings.

Google travel from your home (literally google "cornwall to cardiff" and google maps will give you travel options and how long it will take)
Reply 3
Original post by Kieranisda1
Considering Bolton and Nottingham? That's nearly as heavy as considering either London Met or Cambridge

Yeah??
Yeah??

I suppose it doesn't matter if you're doing Health and Social Care, but if you were doing something academic you should have deffo went for Nottingham
If you want to be a social worker you should check whether the degrees you are looking at will leave you with the correct accreditation for the job.
http://www.hcpc-uk.org/education/programmes/register/

Click on social worker under the profession box
Reply 6
I suppose it doesn't matter if you're doing Health and Social Care, but if you were doing something academic you should have deffo went for Nottingham

Health and Social Care IS academic Thank you very much...

Cardiff Metropolitan
Nottingham
Chester
Lincoln
Winchester
Bolton

Thank you!!

Is there a reason that you're looking at HSC degrees rather than a Social Work degree (that will qualify you to start work post graduation). A HSC degree would mean you'd then need to take a postgraduate qualification before you could start work as a social worker. See https://www.basw.co.uk/social-work-careers/#qualifications for more information.

Most of the universities you list offer accredited Social Work degrees - those would be a much better option than a generic HSC degree if you want to get into Social Work. Note that the Cardiff Met course is accredited by CCW and not the HCPC - I would recommend you double check that someone with a welsh social work degree would be eligible to work in england if that's your long term plan.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Is there a reason that you're looking at HSC degrees rather than a Social Work degree (that will qualify you to start work post graduation). A HSC degree would mean you'd then need to take a postgraduate qualification before you could start work as a social worker. See https://www.basw.co.uk/social-work-careers/#qualifications for more information.

Most of the universities you list offer accredited Social Work degrees - those would be a much better option than a generic HSC degree if you want to get into Social Work. Note that the Cardiff Met course is accredited by CCW and not the HCPC - I would recommend you double check that someone with a welsh social work degree would be eligible to work in england if that's your long term plan.

Hi, Thanks for this info!! Never thought about the eligibility to work thing. I just kinda assumed I Would be? Ill have a look! I'm going for the generic choice rather than the Social Work course as I want to keep my options open in case I change my mind, or find that something I thought Id be interested in doesnt interest me and vice versa. It might be longer in the short term, but I'd rather keep my options open :smile:
Hi, Thanks for this info!! Never thought about the eligibility to work thing. I just kinda assumed I Would be? Ill have a look! I'm going for the generic choice rather than the Social Work course as I want to keep my options open in case I change my mind, or find that something I thought Id be interested in doesnt interest me and vice versa. It might be longer in the short term, but I'd rather keep my options open :smile:

A postgrad conversion to social work will be another 2 year course after you graduate...so that's quite a commitment. If you're unsure I'd suggest taking a bit more time before applying and getting some more experience/talking to current social workers and social work students etc to be confident you're making the right choice - 1 year in paid work in a gap year pre-degree would be better than the additional costs of spending another 2 years on a Masters course.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
A postgrad conversion to social work will be another 2 year course after you graduate...so that's quite a commitment. If you're unsure I'd suggest taking a bit more time before applying and getting some more experience/talking to current social workers and social work students etc to be confident you're making the right choice - 1 year in paid work in a gap year pre-degree would be better than the additional costs of spending another 2 years on a Masters course.

I'm certain I Want to do this. But what I mean is that my view of social work and the course might change when I'm doing it. I will find what bits interest me the most and what bits don't. What I'm interested in now, my perspective might change when I'm studying it in depth at uni. I Know I wanna do it. I Also want to explore all areas of Health and Social Care. This is definitely the right course for me, the HSC not just SC. I Need to get to uni. Personal reasons, but I need to get away from home and get to uni. I'm not just doing it on a whim. It's the right time. Also, I don't want to be any older when I go to Uni. I'll already be starting the course at an older age (Regular students will be in their 3rd year).
Health and Social Care IS academic Thank you very much...

I thought it was much more vocational, I didn't mean to cause pffence by saying it isn't academic
Reply 12
I thought it was much more vocational, I didn't mean to cause offence by saying it isn't academic

Sorry just fed up of the stigma attached to Health and Social Care.. Sorry. But yeah. It is a Vocational course but it is Accademic
Winchester is a quiet city, though it recently acquired a nightclub. (Only the one, as far as I know).
As far as the academic vs vocational aspect, the distinction only matters in terms of what you choose to do afterwards. If you want to go into social work, the perceived quality of the university is irrelevant to your employment prospects, but if you choose another career, it might make a difference to potential employers. Nottingham has the best reputation in general out of your selection.
In terms of nightlife, I think Nottingham or Cardiff will be your best bet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending