The Student Room Group

What would be your reaction if your son came out as gay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tamuna10
it is exactly a decision. Very few, 1 out of 5mil are actually born with biological disease like that. Other cases are completely mental

Where's your source? Where did you get this '1 in 5 million' statistic from? I'm curious.

What I learnt in school GCSE biology lessons and through the Internet was that homosexuality is a complex mix of biological and environmental factors, so not a conscious choice itself but may be influenced by one's upbringing and perhaps some genetic factors (although the specific gay gene has not been found, there have been studies which have shown that gay men share certain physical characteristics).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Napp
To be completely honest I would be mortified, especially if he wasan only child. I don'twant to see my family blood line and my faamilies name snuffed out.
this is also what Neanderthalians used to say
Original post by Napp
To be completely honest I would be mortified, especially if he wasan only child. I don'twant to see my family blood line and my faamilies name snuffed out.

I guess you would also be mortified to have a daughter too, as they tend not to continue their fathers family name? And if your son was infertile, you would hold them accountable for not being able to continue your family blood line, even though it is not their fault they cannot reproduce?

Interestingly though, gay people can still have children and can still raise children. Your son being gay does not preclude you from having grandchildren who could carry on the family blood line or family name.
Original post by Trapz99
Where's your source? Where did you get this '1 in 5 million' statistic from? I'm curious..
probably, a fortune cookie
Reply 84
Been there, don't know why people get so worked up about it.
Original post by The Epicurean
I guess you would also be mortified to have a daughter too, as they tend not to continue their fathers family name? And if your son was infertile, you would hold them accountable for not being able to continue your family blood line, even though it is not their fault they cannot reproduce?

Interestingly though, gay people can still have children and can still raise children. Your son being gay does not preclude you from having grandchildren who could carry on the family blood line or family name.

Absolute hogwash. A daughter does carry on your family bloodline... And how exactly do gay people have children? Hiring a lady to sell you her son (surrogacy) is both greatly immoral, by denying the child the right to have a mother and experience natural bonding, but it is an affront to the nature of motherhood.
I'd make sure he wasn't feeling worried or stressed about it, and let him know I fully support him.
Original post by WBZ144
I would prepare myself to kick the arse of any bully who comes his way.

What if I was the bully?
I would support him unconditionally. Any child of mine would know from an early age that I will accept them regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Honestly, I doubt that a child of mine would have any issue coming out to me, because I'm LGBT and supportive of all parts of the queer community.
Original post by biglad2k16
I would be disappointed but I would try and bring him back to faith in Christ. We are all sinners, gay or not, and are equally awful in God's eyes so I'm not going to pretend that I'm any better than him.

Why is it a sin? Who does it hurt? Perhaps you should try using that collection of specially adapted cells evolved over billions of years called a brain instead of looking in some ancient book.Attitudes like yours contribute directly to suicides which Id say is the greater sin here to be honest.
Reply 90
Original post by Kazuhira
Absolute hogwash. A daughter does carry on your family bloodline... And how exactly do gay people have children? Hiring a lady to sell you her son (surrogacy) is both greatly immoral, by denying the child the right to have a mother and experience natural bonding, but it is an affront to the nature of motherhood.

Your parents must be disappointed to have a bigot in the family.
Wouldn't really care. I'd still love them.
Original post by #ChaosKass
I'd be deeply disappointed, as if I have children I shall bring them up to live a proper conservative Christian lifestyle based around morals, values, loyalty, dignity, and courage.

As the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin and so my first port of call would be conversion therapy, if that doesn't work then who knows. I wouldn't go as far as disowning them but I'd deeply discourage them from partaking in any homosexual behaviour and would make sure they keep their sexuality to themselves.

Coming out as a gay person takes courage. So it's ironic how you're saying you'd raise your kids around courage and yet you'd be a brainwashed parent with their head up their 15th century ass because you're deluded enough to think being gay is a choice.
Reply 93
Original post by mariachi
this is also what Neanderthalians used to say

Fascinating.
I'd be deeply disappointed, as if I have children I shall bring them up to live a proper conservative Christian lifestyle based around morals, values, loyalty, dignity, and courage.

As the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin and so my first port of call would be conversion therapy, if that doesn't work then who knows. I wouldn't go as far as disowning them but I'd deeply discourage them from partaking in any homosexual behaviour and would make sure they keep their sexuality to themselves.

I'm a lesbian with morals, values, loyalty and dignity. Coming out of the closet certainly takes a lot of courage, don't you think?

Conversion therapy doesn't work, it would just traumatise your son. People are born with their sexuality and all evidence suggests its irreversible.

You can look to a poorly translated, ancient book to guide your parenting and justify your prejudice or you can show your family some love and compassion and accept them for who they are.
Unlike most people commenting I actually have a son.
If my Son came out as gay I would literally say 'great. Do you have a boyfriend? And what would you like for tea tonight?'

I really wouldn't care less.
Wouldn't really care too much, I'd give him money everyday for no reason and invite his boyfriend if he has one over, I guess and just let things be.
For me it would be an incredible sign of strength in his character, coming out isn't something you do lightly.
Original post by Napp

Well exactly how long do you expect your family line to continue for?The human race will go extinct eventually whether its sooner or later so what difference does it make.

What you just said isn’t loyalty, isn’t dignity nor courage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending