The Student Room Group

I'm 17 [fresher week inquiry]

Does this mean I won't be able to go to any of the parties and bars? ... I don't want to be a loner upon starting my first year. .. :frown:
Wth how can you be 17 and going to uni???
Reply 2
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Wth how can you be 17 and going to uni???

Skip an year.
Original post by alevez2ez
Does this mean I won't be able to go to any of the parties and bars? ... I don't want to be a loner upon starting my first year. .. :frown:

There's nothing stopping you from parties but you won't be able to buy drinks at bars and go into clubs and stuff, going to uni doesn't give you special pass on the law
Reply 4
Are you from the UK or abroad? How did you even get in? Did you take exams as a private candidate or something?

Anyways, you can't go to bars or clubs as you are under 18. However the SU will have many activities for you. What uni are u
you going to anyway if you don't mind me asking?
Generally you won't be allowed into pubs, bars or clubs. You might be able to get into your SU's ones or other bars/pubs if you go early but neither are guaranteed.

Just try and go to more house parties and ask other people to buy booze for you.
Don't tell them you're 18. They never ask for ID. I visited my brother at uni when I was 17, they did a pub crawl and I joined in. It does mean you probably cant go clubbing (but can still drink in uni bars).

Side note: I've never understood why anyone would skip a year. First year freshers is like the best time of your life and I wouldn't want to miss it because I'm not old enough.
They might be on the Scottish system..
Reply 8
Original post by Helloworld_95
Generally you won't be allowed into pubs.

Lol, what kind of pubs do you go to that 17 year olds aren't even allowed to enter?
I love that your username is "alevez2ez" considering you skipped a year! haha
it depends how things are done in your town/city - generally people will be happy to buy you alcohol so you can drink with them and going to house parties isn't going to be a problem, some clubs won't start IDing people til 9pm so if you go early you can get in without ID and some SUs will let you in with your student card (which may or may not have your age on it) but generally you're going to find it hard to go clubbing if you're underage (unless you have a good fake ID?)

it's going to be much harder if you're underage to make friends, consider joining a lot of societies... definitely tell your flatmates upfront! I lived with a 17 y/o and all had to leave a club after paying as he didn't tell us he couldn't go in!
sooo... you skipped "an year"?
Seriously?!

Hello :smile:,

I'm assuming you've received the general consensus by now from the other posters and they are correct. You are only 17 and the law is the law, you have to be 18 to buy alcohol and enter clubs. Just because you are going to university early, it doesn't mean the rules on alcohol change.

You can still attend house parties and what not and you'll be able to sit in some pubs with your friends but again, won't be able to purchase alcohol! You won't be a loner just because you can't drink yet.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 13

It means you have to sing and dance like this and be able to do the good bit of the end

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending