The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Help, can people move in early?

Parent here - stupidly messed up by booking some flights to a wedding abroad not realising the welcome week is so late for Lancaster.
Now its just the parents going BUT I would have liked to have set my student in before we leave. My questions are: 1) has anyone managed to move in to their room a little earlier? 2) is welcome week the week students move in or is it the week before?
Original post by elephantcandle
Parent here - stupidly messed up by booking some flights to a wedding abroad not realising the welcome week is so late for Lancaster.
Now its just the parents going BUT I would have liked to have set my student in before we leave. My questions are: 1) has anyone managed to move in to their room a little earlier? 2) is welcome week the week students move in or is it the week before?

If welcome week is 2-6 October, it is likely that students will be invited to move into their uni accommodation on 30 September/1 October (it was the Saturday for my son a couple of years ago). You could try emailing the accommodation team to check.
(edited 11 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks, we leave 26th sept...boy did I mess that one up.
Reply 3
Thanks, we leave 26th sept...boy did I mess that one up.

Is there anyone that could take your son with a few bits, and then you bring the rest of the gear to Lancaster on the next available weekend when you get home?

Hi @elephantcandle!

I'm currently a student at Lancaster University, and whilst I don't know if you're able to move into accommodation a little early, I do think that welcome week is the week after students move in, and you are generally given a specific move in date based on your accommodation (these points may have changed since I was in first year).

But here is the Undergraduate Accommodation email address ([email protected]), and they might be able to answer your questions a little better than I can!

I hope you manage to get everything sorted!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hey @elephantcandle
I'm an international student and currently in my second year, and last year due to covid and quarantine restrictions I was considering moving in early myself and had contacted the accommodation team regarding this.
You are allowed to move in early, (I don't think too early tho, because they have to inspect, arrange rooms for incoming students over the last few weeks of summer) although you will be asked to pay separately for each extra night you spend on campus accommodations before your move in day.
Last year we were allowed to move in upto 10 days before freshers week for international students who wished to quarantine, but I do believe it will be changed now.
I don't think this would apply to you but -There is also an option to book a room on campus for a fews over summer, and have a separate contract for it.

As for your inquiry about welcome week- Usually the start of freshers week for Lancaster University is 2nd October, which is also the move in date for MOST of the colleges. Some might be 1st/3rd etc to sort out the incoming crowd, but the freshers events are planned accordingly by the colleges then.

I hope this was helpful, please do contact the accommodation team for price specifications and such.
Vyomika

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending