The Student Room Group

Is 3 AS levels enough?

To those of you who don't know, you can no longer take 4 AS levels then decide to drop one at the end of the year, since (at my school at least) you have to carry all 4 subjects to A2...
So, if I were to choose 3 + an EPQ a levels, would this be enough for when applying to university??
many thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ethanlester
To those of you who don't know, you can no longer take 4 AS levels then decide to drop one at the end of the year, since (at my school at least) you have to carry all 4 subjects to A2...
So, if I were to choose 3 + an EPQ a levels, would this be enough for when applying to university??
many thanks.

Yes. 3 alevels is all you need

Posted from TSR Mobile
many thanks.

If I were you, I'd ask the Universities individually through email. I myself am doing 3 AS levels but I was in the situation where I wasn't able to pick 4 A-levels, as my school mainly offered BTEC (and I couldn't do that!). I asked the Uni's individually, like bath, queens etc.. and they said its fine, as long as you were unable to (your referee has to mention it). Despite this, taking additional ones shows passion in a subject but the main offers come from the 3 A2s.
Universities only ask for your grade in 3 subjects anyway. Once you've done your A levels nobody cares about your leftover AS grade either so you're not missing anything.

My only concern would be that if you take 3 subjects you absolutely cannot drop one if you want to go to university. So if you pick something you've never done before and end up hating it then :/ is all i can say.

I did 4 A levels (5AS) and I don't regret it even if I didn't really get an advantage because of it. It gives you a spare as well in case you bomb in a subject. Furthermore, you get so many frees only doing 3 a levels i honestly would be at a loss for what to do with my time though i suppose that varies from person to person. If you did take 4 and really wanted to drop one after the first year would your college really stop you? It seems a bit unreasonable especially if you're doing badly in the subject.
Reply 4
Why can't you just drop out of one early if your school won't let you sit the AS level
Original post by Kyle1198
Why can't you just drop out of one early if your school won't let you sit the AS level

AS levels don't exist any more don't they? I thought that was why many colleges now only ask you to take 3 subjects in the first year.
Reply 6
Original post by Marked Target
Universities only ask for your grade in 3 subjects anyway. Once you've done your A levels nobody cares about your leftover AS grade either so you're not missing anything.

My only concern would be that if you take 3 subjects you absolutely cannot drop one if you want to go to university. So if you pick something you've never done before and end up hating it then :/ is all i can say.

I did 4 A levels (5AS) and I don't regret it even if I didn't really get an advantage because of it. It gives you a spare as well in case you bomb in a subject. Furthermore, you get so many frees only doing 3 a levels i honestly would be at a loss for what to do with my time though i suppose that varies from person to person. If you did take 4 and really wanted to drop one after the first year would your college really stop you? It seems a bit unreasonable especially if you're doing badly in the subject.

Sadly, they've told us that to drop it after a year would be a complete waste of teachers and your own time (since you wouldn't have any qualifications to show for it - the final grade is the A2 one now that it has been reformed) and that I'd have to stick with 4. But, do you know if doing an EPQ could be seen as a 4th AS by universities maybe?
Reply 7
AS levels don't exist any more don't they? I thought that was why many colleges now only ask you to take 3 subjects in the first year.

yep but I meant for when I apply after lower 6th with 3 grades from my mocks, won't it look worse than before the reforms where students would apply with 4 as'?
Reply 8

Yes they do, they just won't count towards your final A Level grade, and you have to sit the AS content in year 13 again. Only schools have the option of whether they want to enter you in for AS exams or not, and even if the OPs school decides not to enter for AS, they should still be able to drop out early.

I did my AS exams this year so I know how it works
Reply 9
Yes they do, they just won't count towards your final A Level grade, and you have to sit the AS content in year 13 again. Only schools have the option of whether they want to enter you in for AS exams or not, and even if the OPs school decides not to enter for AS, they should still be able to drop out early.

I did my AS exams this year so I know how it works

does this mean AS levels are basically irrelevant now apart for forming your A2 predictions?
does this mean AS levels are basically irrelevant now apart for forming your A2 predictions?

Basically yeah, they're now no more than just half a mock exam where you will get a certificate in it. Bare in mind that some AS haven't yet reformed like government and politics or maths so you will still have to do an AS in that. Some A Levels are still using the old style modular system until 2017 when all the A levels will be linear.

But your school or subject department will have the option of entering you for AS in the reformed subject or not, so you might not have AS grades

I think they see it as us wasting the teachers time... Do you think an EPQ would be a good alternative to a 4th A level?
When it comes to doing an EPQ I'd suggest considering if it will really help you. For some subjects its pointless. I did an EPQ for maths and none of the universities cared at all. I remember bringing it up in an interview and the interviewer was like "Oh, we don't care about EPQs but do go on about this book you read." However, on the other hand I know someone who did one for history and it brought their offer down from A*AA to A*AB.
I think they see it as us wasting the teachers time... Do you think an EPQ would be a good alternative to a 4th A level?

EPQ is worth half an A Level, do it if you want.

3 AS Levels are fine, but you have to make sure that you actually like the subjects otherwise you're stuck!
many thanks.

Thats exactly what i am applying with :smile: Unis don't ask for anything more.
EPQ is worth half an A Level, do it if you want.

3 AS Levels are fine, but you have to make sure that you actually like the subjects otherwise you're stuck!

In points? I don't know anyone who got offers based on points. I get the impression that Russel group unis and the like go on grades and other unis use points. The problem with points is its easy to get them from random stuff (I did a maths exam at the same time as my GCSEs which gives me 60 ucas points and there are plenty of exams like it).

Yeah, this is very good advice.
In points? I don't know anyone who got offers based on points. I get the impression that Russel group unis and the like go on grades and other unis use points. The problem with points is its easy to get them from random stuff (I did a maths exam at the same time as my GCSEs which gives me 60 ucas points and there are plenty of exams like it).

Yeah, this is very good advice.

EPQ is worth half an AS level, and unis recognise this whether they use UCAS points or not
Reply 19
Unis only want 3, don't need to worry about EPQ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest