The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Biochemistry textbook

Hey, I'm starting on the biochemistry and genetic course in a few weeks and have just been set the book list where it says to buy one Biochemistry book from:

“Biochemistry” Jeremy L Berg, John L Tymoczko, Lubert Stryer 8th edition WH Freeman, Palgrave, Macmillan (2015). ISBN-13: 978-1-4641-2610-9
“Lehninger: Principles of Biochemistry” David L. Nelson & Michael M. Cox 6thedition. Freeman. (2013) ISBN-13: 9978-1464109621

and one molecular and cell biology textbook from:

“Molecular Cell Biology” Harvey Lodish, Arnold Berk, Chris A. Kaiser, Monty Krieger, Matthew P. Scott, Anthony Bretscher, Hidde Ploegh and Paul Matsudaira 8th edition. WH Freeman Palgrave-Macmillan (2016) ISBN-13: 978-1464183393
“Molecular Biology of the Cell” Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts, Peter Walter 6th edition. Taylor & Francis (2014) ISBN-13: 978-0815344643

My question is which of the textbooks are better from students already on the course and if they have to be purchased beforehand.
Reply 1
I'm not a Biochem student but I would advise you visit the University Bookshop on campus. They will be able to tell you what is most popular among students from last year and you might get a cheaper 2ndhand copy as well.
I wouldn't have thought you need to get it before you arrive unless you have been told you need to read from it before your course starts.

Original post by geckoshan
Hey, I'm starting on the biochemistry and genetic course in a few weeks and have just been set the book list where it says to buy one Biochemistry book from:

“Biochemistry” Jeremy L Berg, John L Tymoczko, Lubert Stryer 8th edition WH Freeman, Palgrave, Macmillan (2015). ISBN-13: 978-1-4641-2610-9
“Lehninger: Principles of Biochemistry” David L. Nelson & Michael M. Cox 6thedition. Freeman. (2013) ISBN-13: 9978-1464109621

and one molecular and cell biology textbook from:

“Molecular Cell Biology” Harvey Lodish, Arnold Berk, Chris A. Kaiser, Monty Krieger, Matthew P. Scott, Anthony Bretscher, Hidde Ploegh and Paul Matsudaira 8th edition. WH Freeman Palgrave-Macmillan (2016) ISBN-13: 978-1464183393
“Molecular Biology of the Cell” Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Keith Roberts, Peter Walter 6th edition. Taylor & Francis (2014) ISBN-13: 978-0815344643

My question is which of the textbooks are better from students already on the course and if they have to be purchased beforehand.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Thanks for posting this thread! I'm doing biochemistry too (but with biological chemistry) and was wondering which is better. But I think I'm going to have a look around and see which is best or more popular when I get there.
Reply 3
You can get the pdf version of both books from Google (type in tthe name and author, then type '.pdf').
Get Alberts and Stryer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending