The Student Room Group

Question about A level Choices for a god Uni

Hello,

Initially my choices for college were Business, economics and politics - although after getting very good GCSE grades (7 A*s 2 As & B) my college want me to take Maths so I can get into a top University.

Considering I don't want to do 4 a levels, and will consider dropping one in the first month or two I was wondering is politics respected far more than business? I want to go into business, so dropping that just so I have good a levels to get into a better university (which I'd do business in) seems kind of illogical to me.

So the question is Politics respected far more than Business, and would I be able to drop politics not business and still get into Russel group University?

(At University I'm looking to do something business orientated, or might not go to university at all as I want to create my own business.)
(edited 7 years ago)
For a god uni? Better take religious studies.
Original post by PersonKiwi123
Hello,

Initially my choices for college were Business, economics and politics - although after getting very good GCSE grades (7 A*s 2 As & B) my college want me to take Maths so I can get into a top University.

Considering I don't want to do 4 a levels, and will consider dropping one in the first month or two I was wondering is politics respected far more than business? I want to go into business, so dropping that just so I have good a levels to get into a better university (which I'd do business in) seems kind of illogical to me.

So the question is Politics respected far more than Business, and would I be able to drop politics not business and still get into Russel group University?

I would say politics
Depends what you want to do as a career. Russel group generally want 1 or 2 of what they call "facilitating subjects" these are: English literature, History, Modern languages, Classical languages, Mathematics+further, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
So for example if I wanted to get into economics I would take: Maths, Economics and History. If I wanted to get into politics i'd take: History, English lit and politics. If I wanted to get into business id take: maths, a modern language and business. In my opinion If you really don't know what you want to do take 3 facilitating subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
I want to do business, and therefore I feel Maths, economics and business would be fine? 2 Facilitating subjects? I got A* in french at GCSE, but honestly hate the examination process and really wouldn't want to do it anymore.
I want to do business, and therefore I feel Maths, economics and business would be fine? 2 Facilitating subjects? I got A* in french at GCSE, but honestly hate the examination process and really wouldn't want to do it anymore.

Those 3 would be excellent I believe. Have a look at the requirements for a business course at a top uni and see what they say.

2 facilitating subjects is fine, I think politics is better viewed than business though. At my school we are told if you want to do economics do not do economics AND business and instead do a more academic subject. If you want to be super competitive have you considered economics, maths and History?

Don't do business. Challenge yourself more - your GCSE performance certainly shows you've got academic ability.

Go for economics, maths and something like lit, history, maybe even physics or geography.

If you're considering maths and economics, these videos I've made might be useful:
Maths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZ...YdseEi&index=1
Economics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGL...YdseEi&index=2
Original post by Jasaron
Don't do business. Challenge yourself more - your GCSE performance certainly shows you've got academic ability.

Go for economics, maths and something like lit, history, maybe even physics or geography.

If you're considering maths and economics, these videos I've made might be useful:
Maths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tZ...YdseEi&index=1
Economics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwGL...YdseEi&index=2

I understand that I could do more, although I really feel I pushed myself enough at GCSE and doing something I don't enjoy (Because I love business) would be the wrong thing to do. I was expected As and Bs but worked to get mainly A*s.... it was an insane amount of work which I'd rather not repeat AS LONG as business would still work with my choice. I understand I could do 3 facilitating subjects, although I really feel that would be pushing it.
Original post by isabella1999
2 facilitating subjects is fine, I think politics is better viewed than business though. At my school we are told if you want to do economics do not do economics AND business and instead do a more academic subject. If you want to be super competitive have you considered economics, maths and History?

I got my only B in history, so don't think I'll be doing that. The GCSE course was trash though, medecine through time and elizabethan england which really didn't help but personally I see history as a pointless subject (my opinion please don't take offence) because there's no knowledge that can be applied in the real world it is just things that have already happened.
Original post by richpanda
Those 3 would be excellent I believe. Have a look at the requirements for a business course at a top uni and see what they say.

Yeah, hopefully. I checked London school of economics, top 10 for business university courses in the world and only Maths is required, although other facilitating subjects are simply preferred (business as many have suggested wasn't a top pick ironically for a course which is management in business). Although I don't believe this would reduce my chances of getting into a top university, such as LSE by much. Passion for the subject of far more important than taking 1 different a level (at least in my opinion) so I feel it shouldn't be too much of an issue to take business instead of politics. We'll see though, I might love politics and then even better :smile:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
For a god uni? Better take religious studies.

haha, when I checked the specifications and realised RE was a facilitating subject I was very surprised, seems like such a stupid subject to be seen as superior to politics and other subjects. Just the system I guess.. >.>
I got my only B in history, so don't think I'll be doing that. The GCSE course was trash though, medecine through time and elizabethan england which really didn't help but personally I see history as a pointless subject (my opinion please don't take offence) because there's no knowledge that can be applied in the real world it is just things that have already happened.

Aha it is fine I did not even take history to GCSE as I was not a fan but just a suggestion. Hmm okay what about another humanity such as Geography?
Original post by isabella1999
Aha it is fine I did not even take history to GCSE as I was not a fan but just a suggestion. Hmm okay what about another humanity such as Geography?

I really don't feel it would be a good idea, I don't really enjoy it very much ;/ I think I'll stick with either business or politics.

Quick Reply

Latest