The Student Room Group

what's it like to do a level physics

I will be doing a level biology,chemistry,maths and english lit for a level I feel like I want to do physics instead of english lit but my parents think it would be too much work and that I am good at english lit but physics is quite interesting.Can anyone compare a level maths and physics is well it would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous1502
I will be doing a level biology,chemistry,maths and english lit for a level I feel like I want to do physics instead of english lit but my parents think it would be too much work and that I am good at english lit but physics is quite interesting.Can anyone compare a level maths and physics is well it would be appreciated.

I got an A for as physics (AQA). This subject is very interesting. However, Physics exams and the content is very hard but the grade boundaries are very low. But don't be put off, with hard work and lots of practice, you will get an A
Original post by Chemgawd99
I got an A for as physics (AQA). This subject is very interesting. However, Physics exams and the content is very hard but the grade boundaries are very low. But don't be put off, with hard work and lots of practice, you will get an A

What a levels did you do?
Original post by Chemgawd99

What sort of things do you learn in a level physics.

If you're good with moderately abstract concepts, physics will be much less work than English Lit. English lit requires a lot of memorisation - physics just requires understanding and numeracy.

Physics AS is A*-A GCSE maths.
I'd imagine Physics A2 has some form of AS maths in it, as even Chemistry A2 does.
Reply 5

I did biology, chemistry, maths and physics and got AAAA.

Physics is interesting and isn't too difficult. You're doing A level maths - so choose M1 over S1/D1 and you're already going to be prepared for some of the course. Physics contains many maths problems - some of which are quite simple as you just have to select a formula and use it. Others can require a bit more thinking. A fair bit of the marks comes from memory recall like definitions.

Choose physics over Eng Lit as there is overlap with your other courses.
What a levels did you do?

maths , physics, chemistry, further maths and got AAAC respectiveley
What sort of things do you learn in a level physics.

AS physics goes into a lot of depth on a small number of topics. for AS, mechanics and electricity are by far the hardest, but I found them the most enjoyable. Materials, particle , quantum physics were very new to me but I really enjoy physics. The better you get , the more you enjoy the harder stuff
Reply 8
Mind numbingly boring and nothing like actual physics.
Original post by ReeceM1

Physics is interesting and isn't too difficult. You're doing A level maths - so choose M1 over S1/D1 and you're already going to be prepared for some of the course. Physics contains many maths problems - some of which are quite simple as you just have to select a formula and use it. Others can require a bit more thinking. A fair bit of the marks comes from memory recall like definitions.

DId you prefer maths or physics more?Also amazing well done 4 a's. congratulations.
DId you prefer maths or physics more?Also amazing well done 4 a's. congratulations.

Thanks^
I preferred physics more than maths. I think the experiments that we did make it interesting and learning certain topics actually interested me. Maths was good but seemed very repetitive in comparison and the teaching was fairly monotonous.

In order of what I most enjoyed
Chemistry>Physics>Maths>Biology
Original post by ReeceM1
Thanks^
I preferred physics more than maths. I think the experiments that we did make it interesting and learning certain topics actually interested me. Maths was good but seemed very repetitive in comparison and the teaching was fairly monotonous.

I prefer theory will physics be more theory or experiment based?
Original post by ReeceM1
Thanks^

Why did you enjoy chemistry the most and biology the least?
A-level physics is more or less a continuation of GCSE. There's an element of 'what we said at GCSE wasn't quite true, it's actually...' (and this would be repeated if you ever did a degree, and a postgraduate qualification - physics is a series of approximations). The main tip is to write up the practical elements as soon as possible, rather than leaving them for later. The maths isn't hard - A-level physics will still talk about the acceleration due to gravity on Earth being 10 metres per second per second, rather than 9.81etc - and it is all interesting stuff.

If you can, and you don't need it for anything, drop the chemistry instead. That's much harder and very different to the GCSE.
Why did you enjoy chemistry the most and biology the least?

Chemistry for me was by far the most interesting subject to learn with all the experiments - we did an experiment of some sort every week. Most of the chemistry you learn is completely new and nothing like GCSE. It is actually a challenge and if you're the kind of person who likes that then chemistry will be great.

Biology is nothing more than a memory test really. There's a few data analysis questions but it's pretty much all remembering the facts, cycles and diagrams. It is almost a continuation from GCSE and isn't very challenging and for me it wasn't particularly interesting. Although it is seen as a facilitating subject it is probably the easiest of them when compared to the other sciences, history, languages and English Lit.
Original post by unprinted
A-level physics is more or less a continuation of GCSE. There's an element of 'what we said at GCSE wasn't quite true, it's actually...' (and this would be repeated if you ever did a degree, and a postgraduate qualification - physics is a series of approximations). The main tip is to write up the practical elements as soon as possible, rather than leaving them for later. The maths isn't hard - A-level physics will still talk about the acceleration due to gravity on Earth being 10 metres per second per second, rather than 9.81etc - and it is all interesting stuff.

If you can, and you don't need it for anything, drop the chemistry instead. That's much harder and very different to the GCSE.

I want to do medicine I need biology and chemistry.
Original post by Zacken
Mind numbingly boring and nothing like actual physics.

This.
what's it like to do a level physics?

Imagine waking up and having the recurring sensation that you want to stick 9 inch nails through each one of your eye lids
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ReeceM1

How ws a level chemistry and maths? Isnit really that hard? Im not a extremely clevee student im average do u think i will be able to cope and get atleast a B?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Anybody got a copy of last years AS papers (AQA)? Would be useful to glance over before I go back? Much appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest