The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by B_9710
Yeah I would try easier questions first if I were you. Paper 1 2007 seems to be quite easy (relative).

I also heard that the gentlest possible introduction to STEP is STEP I 1994.
Original post by youreanutter
What resources can i use to revise and selfteach s3

Nothing in particular.. the stats book has it all. They were all I used for all of my modules, including S3 and S4.
Q6. Guys the perimeter part of the question. I dont know how to do it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Coolsul98

You can calculate the perimeter using trig, subtraction and the fact that l=r(theta) for an arc of a circle

You can calculate the area with subtraction, for a triangle A = (1/2)ab and the fact that A=(1/2)r^2(theta) for a sector of a circle
(edited 7 years ago)

arclegnth is rθr\theta where θ\theta is the angle AOB. Then using trig (sin cos or tan) you can find the length AC once you know OA. Since cos(pi/3) = adjacet/hyp. Then you can find CB andn add all this up to find the perimeter.
got it thanks
Reply 486
Original post by B_9710
Yeah I would try easier questions first if I were you. Paper 1 2007 seems to be quite easy (relative).

I can gladly submit to you STEP I 1994 Q2 and Q7 for marking if you wish :biggrin:.
Does anyone have any ways on how to approach Vectors?
(edited 7 years ago)
Any tips on vectors. finding it really confusing

What sort of tips are you hoping for? What do you find confusing?
As in how to approach it
Any tips on vectors. finding it really confusing

Visualising them helped me, but I guess that comes from the fact that I did FP4 where vectors go crazy. It helps to understand where the formulae come from and why they work and when they don't work.
Does anyone have any ways on how to approach Vectors?

Draw a clear diagram and put all the relevant information that you're given on the diagram. It can really help.
Welcome. :h:
Why did they change cos2pi/5 to cos-2pi/5 like im noy sure if to change sintheta to -sin-theta u must use costheta=cos-theta at the same time but if thats not true what is the rrason for changing costheta to a negative im unsure why it was done and if it was neccesary or not
Fp2 complez number question
Original post by youreanutter
Why did they change cos2pi/5 to cos-2pi/5 like im noy sure if to change sintheta to -sin-theta u must use costheta=cos-theta at the same time but if thats not true what is the rrason for changing costheta to a negative im unsure why it was done and if it was neccesary or not
Fp2 complez number question

You want a complex number in the form r(cosθ+isinθ) r(cos \theta \mathbf{+} i\sin \theta ) .
Original post by B_9710
You want a complex number in the form r(cosθ+isinθ) r(cos \theta \mathbf{+} i\sin \theta ) .

oh thanks i see
When finding exact values, how can you work out whether something is negative without using a CAST diagram?

An example being on this video at 8:38
Original post by jamestg
When finding exact values, how can you work out whether something is negative without using a CAST diagram?

You just have to know which trig functions are positive and negative in a given interval. Like you just know that for 0x<π/2, cosx 0\leq x <\pi /2 ,\ \cos x is positive and for π/2<xπ, cosx \pi /2 < x \leq \pi, \ \cos x is negative.
Original post by jamestg

After getting 90+ UMS in both C3 and C4, this is the first time I ever hear of this quadrant rule lol...

Does it even matter? I can't think of an example where it would as long as you correctly work out sine and cosine of each angle correctly.

The only thing I can think of from your question is that sine is negative for 180-360. And cos is positive for 0-90, 270-360, and negative for 90-270.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
You just have to know which trig functions are positive and negative in a given interval. Like you just know that for 0x<π/2, cosx 0\leq x <\pi /2 ,\ \cos x is positive and for π/2<xπ, cosx \pi /2 < x \leq \pi, \ \cos x is negative.

Damn it was so easy haha, thank you!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest