The Student Room Group

How many hours to work on each subject per week? Year 12

In year 12, how many hours should you work (on average) for each subject per week? I've seen people on TSR working for many more hours than have been recommended by school. I currently have 21 frees over a fortnight and then obviously will be willing to work at home. What's an average number of hours to spend and review work at this stage in the year? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

4 hours per week from experience.
You have 21 frees over 2 weeks!! I have 9!:frown:
Original post by jazz_xox_
In year 12, how many hours should you work (on average) for each subject per week? I've seen people on TSR working for many more hours than have been recommended by school. I currently have 21 frees over a fortnight and then obviously will be willing to work at home. What's an average number of hours to spend and review work at this stage in the year? :smile:

I have just started sixth form today and although we've been given guidelines of one hour for each spent in class, I think for now since we've barely done anything I'll just be reviewing the lessons notes and doing homework. When we start to do more vigorous work (probably later in the week) then I'll either follow or exceed their guidelines. Otherwise there's always the possibility of losing motivation because you overworked instead of finding your feet and a comfortable pattern for yourself to follow.
Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In year 12 I had 27 frees a fortnight and I split these frees between 3 subjects (bearing in mind each free is 50 minutes). I ended up doing 9 frees per subject which was about 7.5 hours per subject per fortnight, doing no work from home whatsoever.
School gave me the right amount of frees to get the grades I sort of needed.
(Luckily in year 13... I now have more frees than lessons - yay!)

You should be doing 4 hours per subject per week but 3 and a half per week doesn't, from my experience, make a difference. Just doing 4 hours of reading isn't productive. It's how to spend those 4 hours.
Reply 5
didnt do much and just worked very hard for the last 3 months and came out with AAAB
Reply 6
Original post by Stegosaurus99
You have 21 frees over 2 weeks!! I have 9!:frown:

I know!! I am only doing 3 subjects though (at the moment unless I change my mind). Tbh, I don't think I will work in all of them so it's probably best to have less. How many subjects are you doing and are you year 12 or 13?
Year 12, 3 science and maths. Feeling sick about it, i think ill swap them.
Reply 8
I have 21 study periods or 'frees' so am trying to spend them working too. But these are good guidelines for working at home thank you:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Stegosaurus99
Year 12, 3 science and maths. Feeling sick about it, i think ill swap them.

I say carry on unless you feel 3 sciences (or maths) is too much and maybe drop one or swap it. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck!!
Reply 10
Is this just on homework? On top of homework how much revision should you do a week?
Original post by jazz_xox_

I got AAAB in AS and I did sciences and maths and a language so "hard" subjects and I did not once count how many hours I was doing!!! It's irrelevant. Whether you spend 3 hours a day or one, my advice is first of all, make sure you understand the principles in class and then rewrite them at home because it will help with remembering. Understand and remember. So personally my class notes were to aid understanding and then I rewrote my notes again everyday from memory at home in a notebook and then filled in the gaps of what my memory missed out by looking at my class notes. It's amazing how much we forget at the end of the day. If you don't want to do that please at least review your notes when you get home!!
This means I took like I don't know half an hour or an hour a day? Roughly 3 hours a week more or less on my own revision not including homework.
I would suggest exam questions as you go along if you have time. I didn't... I was always too tired for some reason.
Reply 12
Original post by Paisley99
I got AAAB in AS and I did sciences and maths and a language so "hard" subjects and I did not once count how many hours I was doing!!! It's irrelevant. Whether you spend 3 hours a day or one, my advice is first of all, make sure you understand the principles in class and then rewrite them at home because it will help with remembering. Understand and remember. So personally my class notes were to aid understanding and then I rewrote my notes again everyday from memory at home in a notebook and then filled in the gaps of what my memory missed out by looking at my class notes. It's amazing how much we forget at the end of the day. If you don't want to do that please at least review your notes when you get home!!
This means I took like I don't know half an hour or an hour a day? Roughly 3 hours a week more or less on my own revision not including homework.
I would suggest exam questions as you go along if you have time. I didn't... I was always too tired for some reason.

I got an E in maths at AS Level (overall C2 brought me down), Would you have any really good tips for revising maths? By the way I am not naturally that great at maths, I need it for the uni course I want to do so I couldn't drop it and therefore I need to do a lot of revising to reinforce it.
Reply 13

did you do a ll 3 sciences?
Yep I've been looking at my a level book for maths and the jump from gcse to as makes me feel a bit sick!:frown:
Original post by Rajive
did you do a ll 3 sciences?

Nah physics and Chem. Physics was the B. Not a big deal, we can have bad days and I'm going to have to resit it anyway (linear course).
Original post by lmg1
I got an E in maths at AS Level (overall C2 brought me down), Would you have any really good tips for revising maths? By the way I am not naturally that great at maths, I need it for the uni course I want to do so I couldn't drop it and therefore I need to do a lot of revising to reinforce it.

Make you sure you pay full attention to the explanation, that's the most important part!! Don't bother revising from questions you've already done....write down the general principles/key facts that will enable you to answer any question. Understand these and I feel like you should be fine. One does not really "revise maths". Use examsolutions videos if you get stuck as well. It's really common to make silly mistakes so make sure you check questions you've done properly and never get sloppy in an exam.... I hope that's enough for you. To be honest I was naturally good at maths but with the right technique that works for you, you can do it!!
Reply 17
Make you sure you pay full attention to the explanation, that's the most important part!! Don't bother revising from questions you've already done....write down the general principles/key facts that will enable you to answer any question. Understand these and I feel like you should be fine. One does not really "revise maths". Use examsolutions videos if you get stuck as well. It's really common to make silly mistakes so make sure you check questions you've done properly and never get sloppy in an exam.... I hope that's enough for you. To be honest I was naturally good at maths but with the right technique that works for you, you can do it!!

Okay Thanks! One of my main problems actually is not fully paying attention to explanations in class. I'm always so busy writing down the proper answer for corrections that I forget to listen to the teacher.
As long as I bring my C2 grade up I should definitely get at least a C but I'm hoping for a B which I know is a lot to ask for but my teacher has kindly said that she would offer revisions classes each week and I am willing to do the work. Also when I was revising in May/ June I was just going over questions that I already done for example past paper questions which I should find some good websites (without procrastination).
I also hope that instead of just doing the homework questions and rushing them I'm going to take the time to actually think about what I'm writing and to understand it more.
Thank you again I will definitely try to concentrate more in class and use some really good websites like examsolutions.
im timetabled for 20 hours a week on each subject

Quick Reply

Latest