The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by YesMED
Commonly TSR polls suggest a higher average of scores than actually materialises because:

a) people that score highly are significantly more likely to participate in polling than those with a low score

b) generally medical applicants that use TSR have also used other materials to prepare for the UKCAT, meaning that many TSR poll participants are likely some of the best prepared UKCAT test-takers, which often (but not always) is reflected in higher scores than the overall average

c) anybody can contribute to TSR polls and they are not immune to trolls skewing the data

So, take the TSR polls with a pinch of salt and good luck!

As I've explained to another TSR member, these observations are relative, i.e. when I say higher, I mean higher than past TSR polls.
Reply 61
Original post by chrisdale98
Ive had these thoughts too. Ive heard VR is taking no prisoners this year tho...

It never does. The average over years is 570.
Hi,
I know it's been asked already, but could anyone have a prediction at what Newcastles UKCAT cutoff might be this year for 2017 entry? (for undergrad entry)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Hi guys, do you think I'll be safe with a 727 average?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zedna

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I think so that's really high☺️ well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Zedna

Posted from TSR Mobile

See what the official results are like first. If averages have risen, it mightn't be prudent.

G
just looking at the previous cut offs for undergrad and GEM, im applying for both because i will have a degree 1st/2:1 in adult nursing and newcastle and medicine is my absolute dream.
a cut off for a100 at 570 seems a lot lower than i expected.

thoughts for this year? do you think itll go up or down?

also does anyone else think applicants will go down due to junior doctor contracts etc?
Reply 67
Original post by xJessScott
just looking at the previous cut offs for undergrad and GEM, im applying for both because i will have a degree 1st/2:1 in adult nursing and newcastle and medicine is my absolute dream.

also does anyone else think applicants will go down due to junior doctor contracts etc?

cannot say with certainty an answer to your first question, sorry.

And no. A lot of people want to still go into Medicine, with the idea to work somewhere else. But if they know what they owe to this country, they'll serve the NHS!

G
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
Hi , is an average of 733 in the UKCAT good enough for Newcastle through PARTNERS? Thanks
Original post by L.Khan
Hi , is an average of 733 in the UKCAT good enough for Newcastle through PARTNERS? Thanks

should be! Unless averages are really high this year, but I feel like you shouldn't need to worry about that :h:

an average of 733 would be good for anyone applying, let alone PARTNERS applicants :biggrin:
Original post by L.Khan

Id wait until the averages come out which is apparently early October but just by assuming I think you're in with a really good chance well done 😋 I know from stalking the Newcastle 2016 thread that some partners people got in with a lower ukcat than the cut off which is promising, but not too sure if same thing will happen this year. Regardless, you have a super high score ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Another fellow graduate! :biggrin:

I'm also applying for both - like you Newcastle would be a dream (although tbf I've got to the point where I'll happily go wherever will have me!)

Have you sat your UKCAT yet?
Original post by ameehannah
When a medical school has a no resits policy does this include resitting even 1 paper? My friend did this with one of her maths papers and she got into QUB and offers from 2 other med schools (Cardiff and Birmingham) even though they don't accept resits. If I want to go to Newcastle do u think it would be okay to resit one of my chem papers ? (I got a B at AS)

Hey! Im second year at ncl this year and i resit one of my As chem paper as well so i think you should be fine but you should also email them to ensure that they didnt change the policy this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else going to the open day next Saturday? :h:
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Another fellow graduate! :biggrin:

I'm also applying for both - like you Newcastle would be a dream (although tbf I've got to the point where I'll happily go wherever will have me!)

Have you sat your UKCAT yet?

No not yet! Ukcat is on Saturday! I don't want to move because I live with my boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile
No not yet! Ukcat is on Saturday! I don't want to move because I live with my boyfriend

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! Haven't got mine until the 19th but need to ramp up revision - QR timing isn't so great atm :frown:
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Good luck! Haven't got mine until the 19th but need to ramp up revision - QR timing isn't so great atm :frown:

thank you :smile: tbf feels like ive revised for ages and just want it over with. yeah QR is awful just make sure you can do the basic maths like averages ratio etc bbc bitesize is good for that
I've been doing mock papers and practising gazillion of questions, my problem is I have two different books which I'm using (one is the Kaplan one and the other is one I got because I went on a UKCAT course) however, when I do questions from the Kaplan book, I always seem to get a lower score (approx 600 ish) compared to when I use the other book where I get averages of like 700/800. Can anyone boost my confidence and help me figure out why I can do so well in one book but not the other :frown:
Reply 78
Just did my UKCAT today:
VR 630
QR 740
AR 750
SJ band 2
overall 2120, average 706.6

Do you guys reckon this will be good enough for Newcastle? I am planning on applying via the transfer to medicine scheme (starting on the biomed course in a couple of weeks!) I really don't know what to make of this score and what sucks is Newcastle is my only hope for 2017 entry to medicine
Reply 79
Original post by hopefuldoctor
I've been doing mock papers and practising gazillion of questions, my problem is I have two different books which I'm using (one is the Kaplan one and the other is one I got because I went on a UKCAT course) however, when I do questions from the Kaplan book, I always seem to get a lower score (approx 600 ish) compared to when I use the other book where I get averages of like 700/800. Can anyone boost my confidence and help me figure out why I can do so well in one book but not the other :frown:

I did the kaplan course but after a while I totally ran out of material & I didn't like using the books because I don't think it's as helpful as practising on the computer, so I would really advise you to get medify. Having done both kaplan and medify, I found the medify questions and my scores to be the most representative of the actual ukcat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending