The Student Room Group

Re sitting the year?

I got an A in sociology, a D in biology and a C in geography, and I was wondering whether or not I should re do the year?

I didn't revise much for my AS'. I revised sociology for about a week and then did geography in 4 days and biology for about 3 days, so I feel like if I committed more I could have gotten much better results.

I want to do accounting and finance at uni - a decision I made earlier this year otherwise I would have chosen more appropriate subjects at A level - but I was thinking I could just re do the year with more relatable subjects, and subjects with higher grades.

But my teachers also said that there's no real need to re do the year if I just revise hard for next year, plus you can do accounting at uni without having actually studying maths or accounting. However I was hoping to apply to some Russell group universities and I don't think they'd give me an offer on these particular grades even if my personal statement was good.

If you have any advice on what I should do it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Lucia001
I got an A in sociology, a D in biology and a C in geography, and I was wondering whether or not I should re do the year?

I didn't revise much for my AS'. I revised sociology for about a week and then did geography in 4 days and biology for about 3 days, so I feel like if I committed more I could have gotten much better results.

I want to do accounting and finance at uni - a decision I made earlier this year otherwise I would have chosen more appropriate subjects at A level - but I was thinking I could just re do the year with more relatable subjects, and subjects with higher grades.

But my teachers also said that there's no real need to re do the year if I just revise hard for next year, plus you can do accounting at uni without having actually studying maths or accounting. However I was hoping to apply to some Russell group universities and I don't think they'd give me an offer on these particular grades even if my personal statement was good.

If you have any advice on what I should do it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you're happy to resit the year, then I'd probably advise it in your case. It would certainly be possible to improve your grades, however I think if you combine that with the fact you want to study accounting and finance, you'd be best with a clean slate. Have a look at universities you're interested in and see what A levels they ask for or prefer and go from there. 95% of universities are happy to accept resit students, so don't let anyone tell you you won't get offers, it's completely untrue :smile:

But this is ultimately your decision, so do what feels right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest