The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering Graduate - Best way to find a job

Hi to everyone! :smile:

I am an Italian Mechanical Engineering. I achieved the Master Degree at Politecnico di Milano in April 2016 with a final assessment equivalent to the British class 2.1. I moved to Bristol about 10 days after the degree and I spent the last months studying and improving my English.

Now, it is the moment for the next step: looking for a job in the Mechanical Engineering field.

I am really enthusiast about it, but I am also a bit afraid. I come from another country and it is not easy understanding properly a new culture. Therefore, I decided to ask you for some advices. Surely, you have a better point of view on your country than me, considering I live here from just 4 months.

The question is just one: what do you think it is the best way to find a Mechanical Engineering job in UK?

I looked about the Graduate Programmes of the big companies (like Atkins, Airbus, …). In addition, I continuously keep an eye on websites like GumTree or JustEngineers. Anyway, I know there are a lot of possibilities as Mechanical Engineer (also Graduate, without work experiences), but I feel I am not taking advantage of all the possibilities that UK can offer.

I am completely available to move to another city. My specialization is Mechatronics and my English level is Very Good/Advanced, but it is not Proficient yet.

Thanks in advance to everyone :wink: I hope to hear from you soon!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by luke746
Hi to everyone! :smile:

I am an Italian Mechanical Engineering. I achieved the Master Degree at Politecnico di Milano in April 2016 with a final assessment equivalent to the British class 2.1. I moved to Bristol about 10 days after the degree and I spent the last months studying and improving my English.

Now, it is the moment for the next step: looking for a job in the Mechanical Engineering field.

I am really enthusiast about it, but I am also a bit afraid. I come from another country and it is not easy understanding properly a new culture. Therefore, I decided to ask you for some advices. Surely, you have a better point of view on your country than me, considering I live here from just 4 months.

The question is just one: what do you think it is the best way to find a Mechanical Engineering job in UK?

I looked about the Graduate Programmes of the big companies (like Atkins, Airbus, …). In addition, I continuously keep an eye on websites like GumTree or JustEngineers. Anyway, I know there are a lot of possibilities as Mechanical Engineer (also Graduate, without work experiences), but I feel I am not taking advantage of all the possibilities that UK can offer.

I am completely available to move to another city. My specialization is Mechatronics and my English level is Very Good/Advanced, but it is not Proficient yet.

Thanks in advance to everyone :wink: I hope to hear from you soon!

Your English sounds good enough to me.

Apply for jobs, and network so that you can learn about upcoming opportunities. Go to local IMechE events (and maybe IET too if you are mechatronics), look for local industrial visits, etc. The online job boards are good for job hunting, but at the same time they are the first place that many tend to look, so you can expect lots of competition. Register with agencies too.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Thank you Smack! You gave me some good suggestions :wink:

What do you think about agencies? How do they work?
I registered with many agencies uploading my CV and Cover Letter on their website.
Anyway, I would prefer talking personally with the recruiters of the agencies in order to have a professional relationship with them and not just a CV uploaded on website. Quite frankly, I don't understand if it could be a good approach, because it requires time and maybe it is not something required by agencies (in Italy, you can take an appointment with agencies in order to provide a better personal profile and some chats about you and what you are looking for).
Original post by luke746
Thank you Smack! You gave me some good suggestions :wink:

What do you think about agencies? How do they work?
I registered with many agencies uploading my CV and Cover Letter on their website.
Anyway, I would prefer talking personally with the recruiters of the agencies in order to have a professional relationship with them and not just a CV uploaded on website. Quite frankly, I don't understand if it could be a good approach, because it requires time and maybe it is not something required by agencies (in Italy, you can take an appointment with agencies in order to provide a better personal profile and some chats about you and what you are looking for).

If you want to speak to them in person then you can certainly phone them up and ask to speak to someone who deals with engineering. They might call you in for a chat or arrange somewhere. Many of the agencies that I have dealt with before have wanted to see me in person before they go as far as submit my CV to their clients.
Reply 4
Ok, thank you very much Smack :wink: good advices by you!
Reply 5
kudos to you Smack

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending