The Student Room Group

Computer Science at university (undergraduate)

Why do the majority of universities require mathematics (A or A*) yet they do not require computer science for a Computer Science course? Am I missing something?
(edited 7 years ago)
Most Comp Sci degrees are maths heavy. You're probably going to learn everything you learnt in Comp Sci A-level within the first term or so anyway.

Just like with medicine, you don't need biology but you do need Chemistry.

And most top unis prefer you to have an A-level that isn't law if you want to study law.

SS
Original post by Supersaps
Most Comp Sci degrees are maths heavy. You're probably going to learn everything you learnt in Comp Sci A-level within the first term or so anyway.

And most top unis prefer you to have an A-level that isn't law if you want to study law.

SS

What???
Reply 3
Original post by Supersaps

SS

so what is the point of a-level computer science if universities don't care for them
Reply 4
Original post by R1CH101
so what is the point of a-level computer science if universities don't care for them

Just because it's not a requirement doesn't mean it isn't useful.
Reply 5
Computer Science A-Level is nothing like Computing at university level. As far as I can tell it's just a way to get people who don't have an interest in studying computing to learn how to program. A couple of friends and I have a lot of experience in programming, CS theory, etc and we were heavily discouraged from studying it at A-Level because it's at such a low level of knowledge. Having a good level of maths is much more important for the algorithms side of things, so we all took Maths + FM instead.
Reply 6
Original post by trythis
Computer Science A-Level is nothing like Computing at university level. As far as I can tell it's just a way to get people who don't have an interest in studying computing to learn how to program. A couple of friends and I have a lot of experience in programming, CS theory, etc and we were heavily discouraged from studying it at A-Level because it's at such a low level of knowledge. Having a good level of maths is much more important for the algorithms side of things, so we all took Maths + FM instead.

But in Computer science we actually learn about algorithms directly linked to computer science unlike maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by R1CH101
But is a level we actually learn about algorithms directly linked to computer science unlike maths.
D1 Maths is linked to A level computer science.
Reply 8
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
D1 Maths is linked to A level computer science.

isn't D1 further?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending